Institutes doing research in Thermodynamics

faizan2722

Hello Every One!

I am currently doing master in the field of energy, in Germany.

Most of the institutes, across Europe, working in the field of thermodynamics are basically working in thermodynamics application. In order words, they work in applied thermodynamics.

Can anyone recommend me some renowned institutes in Europe which are doing research on the fundamental level of thermodynamics, work delivery cycles, energetic balancing etc.

I would think that an fairly easy way to approach this is to find some papers what have been published in the area you are interested in, and note the authors and their institutions. That should give you at least a start, and if you need more, making contact with those authors to ask what conferences they look forward to or what else they know about in that field would be a good second step.

Thank you for your suggestions.

There is a COST action "Thermodynamics in the quantum regime". I am sure you could find groups of some interest to you via this action.

I personally don't know anyone working on fundamental issues in thermodynamics, the only people I can think of are interested in statistical mechanics.

Could you please recommend me some institutes, research centers doing research in statistical mechanics where I can have the opportunity to apply for my master thesis.

Could you please recommend me some institutes, research centers doing research in statistical mechanics where I can have the opportunity to apply for my master thesis.

faizin, why do you keep expecting people to do this work for you?

There are links to researchers' names on the right hand side of the link ajb provided, which included what institutes those researchers are with. There are some right there.

And again, my suggestion of looking at papers in the area you are interested in -- the authors will list what institution they are with. So there are some more.

We aren't going to know exactly what you're interested in, your best bet here is to make contact yourself and talk with some of these people who know more about the are you are interested in.

I think you should take into account that faizan is, if I understand correctly, an engineer (electrical or renewables, I guess). I'm not sure that "Experimental or Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics" is the right direction to point to. But then, I'm not quite sure how thermodynamics for engineers can be anything else than applied research. I do equate the term with "Statistical Physics", which already gives a hint of where the field is located academically. @faizan: To get an impression of what we are actually talking about: What are those "most institutes" doing applied research that you talk about?

There are many places you could apply to. It probabily depends on your taste and pervious experience as to where you should apply. Most of the people I personally know attack the problem from an operator algebra perspective and these people are really pure mathematicians. Others I know are involved in conformal field theory and how that is related to statistical mechanics.