What no tobacco at CVS Drug Stores?

Airbrush

I don't think that we need any more taxation in all honesty. A lot of us are really struggling, and I really do see it every day that I work behind that register. Even though I am poor as well, I help them with the change I have in my pocket every now and then. Poor people don't always look poor either, and when I know that they need help, i do everything I can to help them out, whether they need something to cure their symptoms or whether they need a cheaper alternative to what they can't afford. I usually end up walking them to the items and showing them things that they just didn't see or didn't know that we have. Some people talk to me about their ailments expecting that I can help them even though I'm just a cashier, and even though I've only been working there for 5 months now, I've straightened their shelves enough so that I know what we have, and throughout all my years in shopping there, I've learned that our over the counter medication can work just as good as prescription medication or even better. Mucinex is a great example; it seems like every time at a certain time in the year, I, and a lot of other people, get a lung infection. A doctor would prescribe antibiotics, which can eliminate the infection, but can also be detrimental and cause other symptoms like chest pains and fungal infections. I'd take Mucinex any day over antibiotics to help with lung infections. It solved the issue very quickly. Fast relief, period.

What you're proposing is absurd IMHO.

It's been that way for ages. Your tax burden in this regard is actually decreased by the ACA, because there will be fewer people without insurance using emergency rooms.

I'm not criticizing the ACA. Imagine a world in the near future where most people are obese because of their addiction to salt/sugar/fat (because it is in their face at EVERY check out stand, even gas stations) and lack of physical activity (everybody drives everywhere). As they age, they will NEED a lot more medical attention than we currently experience. This will cause medical expenses to skyrocket, and most people will not be able to afford even government-assisted health care. Then only the wealthy will be able to afford treatment. So, eventually, we ALL who earn ANY money will be taxed more to pay for health care for the top 50% of the population, but the poor 50% are out of luck. If every person in a nation needed a heart transplant, not everyone will get one, only the wealthy.

But this isn't a result of Obamacare. In fact, the ACA makes this less of a burden.

Now it does, but as health care expenses go even higher, everybody who earns any money at all will be taxed. Currently, everybody, no matter how little they earn, pays Social Security, Medicare, and in California we also have SDI, State Disability Insurance. In the near future, either Medicare tax will increase at least ten fold, or there will be a new national tax, a General Health Tax. Then poor, healthy, young people will be taxed a much higher health care tax, to pay for my expensive medications in my old age. Thank you young, healthy, workers!

Edited by Airbrush

I'm not criticizing the ACA. Imagine a world in the near future where most people are obese because of their addiction to salt/sugar/fat (because it is in their face at EVERY check out stand, even gas stations) and lack of physical activity (everybody drives everywhere). As they age, they will NEED a lot more medical attention than we currently experience. This will cause medical expenses to skyrocket, and most people will not be able to afford even government-assisted health care. Then only the wealthy will be able to afford treatment. So, eventually, we ALL who earn ANY money will be taxed more to pay for health care for the top 50% of the population, but the poor 50% are out of luck. If every person in a nation needed a heart transplant, not everyone will get one, only the wealthy.

Now it does, but as health care expenses go even higher, everybody who earns any money at all will be taxed. Currently, everybody, no matter how little they earn, pays Social Security, Medicare, and in California we also have SDI, State Disability Insurance. In the near future, either Medicare tax will increase at least ten fold, or there will be a new national tax, a General Health Tax. Then poor, healthy, young people will be taxed a much higher health care tax, to pay for my expensive medications in my old age. Thank you young, healthy, workers!

What will happen and what might happen under some hypothetical set of circumstances are not the same thing. And I haven't seen a compelling argument that your scenario will come to pass.

Thanks to the moderators for not kicking this subject over to Speculations, since this is a science discussion site and my personal experience is all I have to share. At age 59 I have been through many cycles of strict diet and lax diet and my health was always better when my diet was strict. I strongly believe that we are HOW we eat, and how we eat includes what we eat, how much we eat, how often, when, our genetic ability to digest, what combinations of foods, how much water we ingest, how we don't eat, etc. etc.

I propose a study of 2 control groups of maybe a thousand people in each group. They would all be selected to have very similar health conditions in both groups. Each group would have the same numbers of people of each gender, race, age, and have similar health as determined by blood tests and other tests. Here is the hard part, they all need to be CONFINED for a year, like in a prison, and one group fed a high proportion of junk foods, and the other group, no junk foods at all, only real healthy stuff, such as fruit, collard greens, and good proteins. It will be hard to find a thousand people to participate in EITHER group, but theoretically this is how to prove my speculation. After a year or so, they are all tested to see how healthy they are compared to before the test began. Any volunteers for such an experiment? I didn't think so.

Edited by Airbrush