Is hypnosis possible?

sparf22

Apparently I'm the guy that watched too many movies, but I'm still curious about one thing.

Is it possible to actually perform a hypnosis on someone so that they get a better memory of some event. Like if someone forgot particular details at some point in the past, the hypnosis can help him remember it.

In the movies they present it with the "you are completely relaxed" phrases but I find it hard to believe it could actually work.

So I'm wondering if someone here knows about it...

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry for posting on the wrong board, meant to put this under "Psychology"

Edited by sparf22

The conscious mind is only recognizing a few bits of information per second, but the subconscious is taking in millions. I don't think of hypnosis as a state; to me, it's an extremely willing person opening themselves up to the suggestion that there's more to remember about the event. You don't "go under", you just relax with the intention of remembering in detail.

How reliable this type of memory recovery is, I can't say, but I've had success helping relax and refresh people with suggestions like this. It works becaue they want it to work. However, taking people back to past lives, physiological damage from hypnotic suggestion, those things, I believe, are totally Hollywood, but I see no reason why relaxing and being willingly and gently led towards remembering something better wouldn't bring some benefit.

As always, remember that it's extremely easy to fool yourself when it comes to your own mind.