Why did ice as well as dry ice melt faster in water then air?

i have tried putting a cube of ice in water and one in air and found that ice melts faster and the same with the dry ice

so i am confused about it can someone help me?

Stick your hand in room temp water, how does it feel compared to the air in the room?

Edited by Moontanman

i have tried putting a cube of ice in water and one in air and found that ice melts faster and the same with the dry ice

so i am confused about it can someone help me?

1 cm^3 of air has ~2.68*10^19 molecules at 0 C, s.p.

1 cm^3 of water has ~3.345*10^22 molecules of H2O.

Collisions between cold object molecules and water molecules are more probable than collisions with rare oxygen & nitrogen molecules.

In thermic cups and thermoses there is even used layer of vacuum, to separate hot/cold content from environment.

Edited by Sensei

The relevant parameters are the heat capacity, the mass and the temperature. Q = mC [math]\Delta T[/math]

m is the mass, C is the specific heat

The water may have a smaller temperature difference, but there's a lot more of it, and water has the ability to absorb more heat per unit mass for a given temperature increase.

For the record, I also find it annoying being referred to as Bromine Oxide.