Reversable Aging

EdEarl

A New -- And Reversible -- Cause of Aging: A Naturally Produced Compound Rewinds Aspects of Age-Related Demise in Mice

Dec. 19, 2013 — Researchers have discovered a cause of aging in mammals that may be reversible.

The essence of this finding is a series of molecular events that enable communication inside cells between the nucleus and mitochondria. As communication breaks down, aging accelerates. By administering a molecule naturally produced by the human body, scientists restored the communication network in older mice. Subsequent tissue samples showed key biological hallmarks that were comparable to those of much younger animals.

This news means the world population may begin to grow again, and possibly fast. Although, it depends on how expensive the process to reverse aging will be. This is not good news for mother Earth.

Is it ethical for people to extend their lives? How can Earth support tens of billions more people?

This news means the world population may begin to grow again, and possibly fast. Although, it depends on how expensive the process to reverse aging will be. This is not good news for mother Earth.

Is it ethical for people to extend their lives? How can Earth support tens of billions more people?

(emphasis done by me)

Yes of course it is. That's what medicine struggles to do.

If people is starving to death on Earth today, that is not because Mother Earth has not the capacity to feed them, it is because humans are mean, stupid, inhumans most of the time.

(emphasis done by me)

Yes of course it is. That's what medicine struggles to do.

If people is starving to death on Earth today, that is not because Mother Earth has not the capacity to feed them, it is because humans are mean, stupid, inhumans most of the time.

The purpose of Medicine is not to extend the life of humans. It is to allow organisms, such as humans, to live according to how the species was supposed to live.

Life expansion will cause many unwanted factors, such as overpopulation and may cause new diseases to arise.

The purpose of Medicine is not to extend the life of humans. It is to allow organisms, such as humans, to live according to how the species was supposed to live.

Whoa, who decides how humans are "supposed" to live? Isn't the whole point of superior intelligence to increase overall welfare and innovation of the species?

Medicine has been extending lives steadily for several centuries now. This could be what helps make the population wiser as a whole, better able to adapt to increasing demands for harmony between existing species.

Whoa, who decides how humans are "supposed" to live? Isn't the whole point of superior intelligence to increase overall welfare and innovation of the species?

Medicine has been extending lives steadily for several centuries now. This could be what helps make the population wiser as a whole, better able to adapt to increasing demands for harmony between existing species.

Well, until we start moving to other planets, many problems will arise when age of humans have increased, wouldn't you think?

People are already starving. One billion, in fact.

This is not because of a lack of food. It is estimated that farmers create enough food for 12 billion people.

If we have a bigger population, we would be able to feed them up to 12 billion people. At that point, we would need more farmers.

As for the reversible aging, this would greatly increase the population. Two thirds of deaths and nine tenths of deaths in the developed world are the cause of aging, so this could greatly increase the length of lives. This could lead to overpopulation.

People are already starving. One billion, in fact.

This is not because of a lack of food. It is estimated that farmers create enough food for 12 billion people.

If we have a bigger population, we would be able to feed them up to 12 billion people. At that point, we would need more farmers.

As for the reversible aging, this would greatly increase the population. Two thirds of deaths and nine tenths of deaths in the developed world are the cause of aging, so this could greatly increase the length of lives. This could lead to overpopulation.

There is plenty of room on the oceans for floating cities. I bet such a floating city could be made economically self sufficient as well as supplying its own food and energy. What advantages would it have over a regular city? No homeless or panhandlers, for one.

A recent study questions whether the Earth can grow more rice, wheat, and corn. It it does predict fact, the Earth may find it difficult to feed 12 Billion or more people. Although, global dietary changes to favor a vegan diet instead of one depending on substantial amounts of animal protein may be able to increase the number of people the Earth can feed, because it takes less land to feed a person a vegan diet than to feed a person meat and dairy products. But, some land is not well suited to grow produce; thus, there is no simple way to know how many additional people may be fed a vegan diet. At some point, the Earth will not be able to feed additional people.

I found another related article about proposed human trials.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/anti-aging-formula-slated-begin-human-trials

Edited by EdEarl

Well, until we start moving to other planets, many problems will arise when age of humans have increased, wouldn't you think?

Agreed. All part of my Master Plan. And step one is doing this:

Google "birth rate vs education". Education is the single biggest correlate to low birth rate. Population control plan, lot's of books and computers for everyone.

Live young for a long time? Hell yea! And don't get in my way!

Living young for a long time would suck without an education. We'll need smart people to get us off planet.

For some reason, I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious.

I'm completely serious. We're the only species with a chance of making it off planet, and I think we'll only invest in space exploration if the pressure to do so outweighs the expense.

If we have more to live for, perhaps we'll respect life more. Again, education seems to be the key to a more informed, effective and collaborative human population capable of exploiting their full potential.

A few months ago, Larry Page (Google if you don't know who he is) built a new company, CALICO, and you must know that the companies sole motive is to create immortality. My dear SCIENCEFORUMS scientists, I bet he is going to benefit from this finding (and patent it!).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.