Neutral Comment

Tridimity

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25268343

I found this article interesting and thought that others might. It features religious practices which include physical punishment so as to subjugate children completely to the will of parents. The purpose of the thread is of course for discussion so please comment if you wish to. It may be impossible for members outside the UK to access the website but I have been reliably informed that to include the text is not acceptable - so you will just have to guess what is in the article. Good luck! I have feelings about this, being human, but I will not mention them because to do so would be SOAPBOXING.

Edited by Tridimity

US residents at least can reach it, showed up in my RSS feed earlier.

My thought is that while some discipline can be helpful, even very minor pain is enough for that. Certainly doesn't need to be anything beyond a spanking. Any normal human being learns quick that to act badly results in negative consequences with that alone.

!

Moderator Note

Trimidity, this isn't the thread that will start the discussion you and others would like to participate in. Please respect the responsibility of the opening poster to set a tone that invites discussion instead of aggression.

Perhaps starting the thread in Psychology might be a good place to start?