Adapts, changes, and corrects itself.

natureboyish

Hello brains, I am hoping I can get some assistance. I am writing a sci fi novel and an idea I have introduced is a bodysuit which adapts to climate be it hot or cold, be it water, ice,or fire, and keeps the wearer safe, comfortable, and alive. Also, it maximises your muscles capabilities and stamina and can possibly be worn in open space, tear and puncture resistant also. It cannot be no armored Ironman type of suit though, something that looks more similar to a scuba diving bodysuit. Yes I know it is impossible especially with our level of technology or understanding for this to be a possibility but put aside the limitations for a moment, lets assume we have everything necessary to create such an all purpose bodysuit, which materials/fabrics or which type of materials/fabrics could it be constructed from and how exactly could it work. Could it somehow be powered by the brain and the heart if somehow connected to them using them as an engine and power source? would the suit need to be computerised in a way? what are the necessities for such a suit to be made and for it to function as specified? Please any ideas will be much appreciated.

Edited by natureboyish

It shouldn't use the brain or heart for power. That would mean whoever wears it would have less for normal biological functions (he couldn't be as smart and athletic as someone who's suit wasn't draining him). The suit should have a way to power itself in an interesting way that lets the wearer be vulnerable when you need it (e.g., the suit requires a special mineral that isn't always available, or it needs seawater which is plentiful but not easy to store and carry around).

It seems like you're also looking for a way to reflect bad things away from the suit. Excessive temperatures, harsh environments, etc. You need a material (fictional) that deflects energy away or transfers energy into something the suit can use. Maybe the suit could use the blood of the wearer to maintain a low level of operation, and then the rest of the energy comes from the transfer when the suit is exposed to extremes in temperature, kinetic energy from bullets and bombs, electricity from other technology. That way, the more the wearer needs the suit, the more power it will have to sustain it's functions. The wearer would only have the power to defend himself when he was being attacked, and he'd always have just enough energy because the suit is powering its defense from the offense. Does that make sense?

Also, you could advance the clock on plastic superconductors, which would allow you to have a rechargeable power source available on any piece of plastic in the suit. The whole suit could be it's own battery, which would mean sunlight is required, giving you another interesting vulnerability.

I think the tendency with a magic suit is to have it do too much, protect the wearer from too many things. It sounds logical that the suit would be made to the best of our capabilities, but I think it's much more interesting when a flaw makes something so powerful also very susceptible to a certain attack. Superman would be a pretty boring story line if Kryptonite didn't spoil his invulnerability. Achilles was unstoppable (and therefore very predictable, you don't have to invest any emotion because he'll be fine, he's invincible) unless you could target the tendon connected to his heel. David could kill mighty Goliath if he ignored the parts he could reach and instead went for a head shot with a sling.

Control could be done via a mind-machine interface. Would reduce the number of sensors needed by the suit as well as give the user the option to change its properties at will.

Probably some sort of nano-tech for the fabric.

For power I would probably just claim ambient or avoid mentioning it altogether. If you really want biologic, swiping energy from the blood stream would be more efficient than tapping the brain. Most of us have a good bit extra to give that would otherwise end up as waste or fat.

Really love the ideas guys, Phi for All I think your idea about the suit gaining energy from the force of attacks and other kinetic energies is really good, powering from its defense, it sort of reminds me of Bruce Lee saying that his offense and defense are the same thing. Also, the idea of the wearers blood being used to power the suit at a minimum level or more which both Phi for All and Endy0816 mentioned is quite an interesting idea, the thought never even crossed my mind. With the suit being powered through kinetic means while simultaneously being back up by the wearers own blood stream I think the question of powering such a suit has been answered. Maybe the inside of the suit holds numerous points that pierce the flesh connecting the suit directly to the veins which then fills the suits artificial veins with blood which flows to and from your body literally turning the suit into a part of your own body, not sure, have to think that through, you might not ever be able to remove the suit again once worn if I make it that way, which could be a cool consequence.

In the story the suit will be called the Kirasa Secondskin Smartsuit, KSS for short. Secondskin as the term implies because it will fit snug and tight acting as a thick protective second layer of skin. Smartsuit because the original idea was for the suit to be able to sense radiation, and extremes in temperature, and would automatically change its own functions to make it safe for the wearer leaving them unaffected by whatever they face, thus leaving consumers saying that's a smart suit, it thinks for itself (technically its been preset with the ideal conditions for man so it tries its best to meet those conditions no matter the environment, I think I might need some kind of cybernetics for this suit to function with the think for itself premise). And Kirasa is a Russian company that has made serious advances designing present and future military attire. So in my world around 2042 they design the KSS for the military to search and explore the frozen, radiated, disease ridden post apocalyptic surface of the planet to search for worthy specimen of a new species to bring back for the newly unified government of the Earth's scientists to study from there Subterrainian Utopia that all the "important" people in human society now call home, leaving the rest of us not so important commoners on the surface to die. This is why I needed a bodysuit with those functions because half of the planet is frozen, there is an alien pathogen that has been introduced into the earths atmosphere and oceans, only 4 continents remain, dust clouds have blocked the sun and moon for years killing all natural vegetation, and 85 percent of life that remains on the surface of the planet is now something more than man and beast. So the KSS must be able to have the military function unaffected by such conditions. Oh Endy0816 I will research different nano-tech materials to try and come up with an adaptation that is a useable fabric for the suit, and your idea for a mind machine interface to control the suit is one I will definitely look into because designing a suit that controls its own functions might be tricky if its not a computerised Ironman suit. Phi for All your idea for the suit being its own battery is great and exactly what I was thinking, but it will be worn in a world with no sunlight so that idea might not work out, how could your idea about using seawater to power the suit work?

Edited by natureboyish