If I can imagine it, it is possible!

ydoaPs

• 1 month later...

I do not think so.

You could imagine that every point of space and time is infinite with an infinite amount of energy and mass in them.

Take a second to imagine the scenario. Even you can imagine it (or something very close), that won't change the Laws of Nature upon the Universe acts and the presence of the System. 

While we can not absolutely exclude that in the Universe an unicorn type of entity existed in the past minimum 13.8 billion years, but for sure we can exclude, that in any point of the evolution of the Universe such Absolute Infinity type of scenario were impossible.

There is no Force which could impact such an Absolute Infinite system!

The Elements of Reality: Space, Time, Energy and Matter built on one another and organized by evolving bio-Physical Information (Laws of Nature). 

Imagination can alter understanding and by that impact Reality but imagination(possibility) can not change the regulations and the absolute presence of the entire system in which our Dreamer is existing.

There will always be a bit more Space and Time than Energy and Matter so Universal Absolute Infinity is impossible i think. Even I can imagine It.

Edited by FreeWill

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:13 PM, tmx3 said:

If I can see it, then I can do it. If I just believe it, there's nothing to it... I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky!!!:D

"I think about it every night and day, spread my wings and fly away"

9 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

I do not think so.

Neither does anyone else who is in their right mind - did you read the OP?

10 minutes ago, DrP said:

"I think about it every night and day, spread my wings and fly away"

Neither does anyone else who is in their right mind - did you read the OP?

Of course but not the thread. I am on it.

Just expressed my recognition, to see better the similarities and differences in understandings in the thread.

Edited by FreeWill

Why would the Universe care about Bob or Karen’s imagination is beyond me. 

PS. I never liked R. Kelly with that dumb song when it came out and apparently it turned out recently hes an abusive psycho so thats that. 

On September 20, 2013 at 6:03 AM, ydoaPs said:

The title is a common view among crackpots. They often think that the ability to imagine something means that the universe might actually be that way or could have been that way were things differently. To use philosophy words, they often think that conceivability means epistemic or metaphysical possibility. But, the question is, is that true?

To find that out, we need to find something that is conceivable but is impossible. For the first sense of possibility, (how things might actually be), that is incredibly easy. All we have to do is find something that is conceivable but not the case. Have you ever been wrong about something? If you have, you've shown that conceivability does not mean epistemic possibility.

The second one is a bit harder, since there's disagreement on the exact requirements of what makes something metaphysically possible, but we do know that for something to be metaphysically possible, it must also be logically possible. That is, were things different, an accurate description of the universe still wouldn't entail a contradiction.

So, we can knock this out by finding something which is conceivable, yet logically impossible. Can we imagine things which are contradictions? You might be tempted to say "No one can imagine a square circle!". But I'd like to talk about one which almost everyone intuitively conceives.

People intuitively like to group things. It's how we make sense of the world. We have apples, chairs, etc. All you have to do is put things together and you have a group. In mathematics, we call these kind of groupings 'sets'. The things in these groups are called "members". Any group of members of a set is called a "subset". This does mean that all sets are subsets of themselves, but that's not of interest to us here. What we're interested in is the idea that you can group whatever you want into a set. You can make sets of sets. You can take your set of cats and your set of dogs and put them together into a new set!

So, let's take a look at a specific set: the set of all sets which are not members of themselves. The set of all cats is not a member of the set of all cats-it's a set of cats, not of sets! So, it goes in! Likewise, any set consisting of no sets will go in this set of all sets which are not members of themselves.

So, we pose a question: Is this set of all sets which are not members of themselves (from here on out, we'll call it 'R') a member of itself? If R is a member of R, then it fails to meet the requirements to be in R, so it isn't a member of R. That's a contradiction, so that's no good. That means R must not be a member of itself. But what happens if R is a member of itself? If R is a member of itself, it meets the requirement to be in R. Since R is the set of ALL sets meeting this requirements, it goes in. Again we have R both being a member of itself and not being a member of itself. So, either way, we get a contradiction. This means something is logically impossible. But we got this result simply from the definitions of sets and members and from the very conceivable idea that you can group whatever you want together.

This is a situation in which something is conceivable, but logically impossible. This means it is not the case that whatever you can imagine is possible. Crackpots, take note: the fact that you can imagine something in no way implies that it is possible. It doesn't matter how clear your perpetual motion device/unified theory/God/electric universe is, imagining it doesn't cut the mustard. This is one of the reasons you NEED the math.

Yes, the set of all sets is a logical contradiction because no set can contain itself, but would have to, if it is to truly be the set of all sets. In other words, there is no such thing as the set of all sets. It's logically contradictory and logically impossible, as you've shown. However, I'm utterly unconvinced of your claim that you can imagine the set of all sets. Such a set would have to include an Absolute Infinitely large set within it.

Yet, Absolute Infinity can never be contained (even in the imagination). There's no possible way that you have the ability to imagine a container of a truly infinite set. Therefore, there's no possible way to imagine the set of all sets. 

Edited by EthanKahn

What do you mean ?
There is an infinity of decimal places between 0 and 1.

But, getting back to the cookies...
They are NOT impossible.
This website hands them out every time I log on.
( although they leave a bad taste in my mouth )

Edited by MigL

1 hour ago, MigL said:

What do you mean ?
There is an infinity of decimal places between 0 and 1.

But, getting back to the cookies...
They are NOT impossible.
This website hands them out every time I log on.
( although they leave a bad taste in my mouth )

That's why I said Absolute Infinity

6 hours ago, EthanKahn said:

There's no possible way that you have the ability to imagine a container of a truly infinite set.

I assume you have some scientific basis for this assertion?

Edited by zapatos

1 hour ago, EthanKahn said:

It's self-evident logic. Absolute Infinity goes on forever. You can't contain something that has no boundary.

It wasn't a question about containing something that has no boundary, it was a question about your assertion that it is impossible to imagine such a thing. I can imagine lots of impossible things. What is the basis for your assertion that  this particular bit of imagination is impossible?

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

It wasn't a question about containing something that has no boundary, it was a question about your assertion that it is impossible to imagine such a thing. I can imagine lots of impossible things. What is the basis for your assertion that  this particular bit of imagination is impossible?

You can't imagine a container of an uncontainable thing. If you imagine something being contained, then you haven't imagined something uncontained, by definition. It's impossible to imagine anything that contradicts itself, because it's asking you to imagine something without imagining it. 

Edited by EthanKahn

9 minutes ago, EthanKahn said:

You can't imagine a container of an uncontainable thing. If you imagine something being contained, then you haven't imagined something uncontained, by definition. It's impossible to imagine anything that contradicts itself, because it's asking you to imagine something without imagining it. 

You kind of already imagined and even expessed the impossible (absolute infinity)

Why could not he imagine something contradictory?

Just now, FreeWill said:

You kind of already imagined and even expessed the impossible (absolute infinity)

Why could not he imagine something contradictory?

You can never fully imagine Absolute Infinity because no matter how much of it you imagine, there will always be more. That's true of infinity, by definition. Absolute Infinity never ends and will always posit more. I never claimed to imagine all of Absolute Infinity. That's contradictory. You can never reach the end of an endless thing. Therefore, you can never encompass it, even in the mind.

You can't imagine anything contradictory because it asks you to imagine something without imagining that thing.

10 minutes ago, EthanKahn said:

You can never fully imagine Absolute Infinity because no matter how much of it you imagine, there will always be more. That's true of infinity, by definition. Absolute Infinity never ends and will always posit more. I never claimed to imagine all of Absolute Infinity. That's contradictory. You can never reach the end of an endless thing. Therefore, you can never encompass it, even in the mind.

You can't imagine anything contradictory because it asks you to imagine something without imagining that thing.

Of course, I can. Every point of space-time filled with infinite energy and mass. I even expressed It. 

You have been thinking about Absolute Infinity in your brain, which is a kind of imagination. You also expressed its definition created by your imagination. 

There is no such thing in physical reality as an absolute infinity. The closest you will come to Physical Infinity is the potential of time to tick.

Edited by FreeWill

9 minutes ago, Strange said:

You don't know that.

Why? 

I can sense the differences in the fabric of the Universe. Somewhere it is denser and somewhere it is less dense. By observation, I can make the conclusion that the Universe is not Absolute Infinite.

Edited by FreeWill

19 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

Of course, I can. Every point of space-time filled with infinite energy and mass. I even expressed It. 

You have been thinking about Absolute Infinity in your brain, which is a kind of imagination. You also expressed its definition created by your imagination. 

There is no such thing in physical reality as an absolute infinity. The closest you will come to Physical Infinity is the potential of time to tick.

This is EthanKahn. I had to use my other account cause I hit the maximum. Anyways...

You didn't just imagine all of Absolute Infinity. You can zoom in and out of Absolute Infinity forever. So no matter what you imagine, there's always more to imagine. 

You also can't imagine an end to infinity (contradiction), square circles (contradiction). The fact that you claim you can... is nonsensical

Edited by EK98

8 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

I can sense the differences in the fabric of the Universe. Somewhere it is denser and somewhere it is less dense.

Wow. Impressive superpower.

8 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

By observation, I can make the conclusion that the Universe is not Absolute Infinite.

I'm afraid your (possibly delusional) perceptions don't really count as scientific evidence. It also appears to be a non sequitur, which doesn't really help.

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

Wow. Impressive superpower.

I'm afraid your (possibly delusional) perceptions don't really count as scientific evidence. It also appears to be a non sequitur, which doesn't really help.

Yeah apparently this FreeWill guy is God or something. He can imagine all of infinity, beyond infinity and other contradictory things like square circles...

Edited by EK98

33 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

You haven’t proven at all that you can. You’ve just shown that you can come with a label for it. Labeling something doesn’t mean you can cognize (imagine) it. We can label round circles but there’s no way you could imagine one because you’d have to be imagining a square (which means you’re not imaging roundness) and then, at the same time, imagine roundness. Like EthanKahn said, you’d have to imagine something (roundness) without imagining it (a square which is absent of roundness). 

And the fact that you claim to be able to imagine what a state of infinite energy would be like is utterly delusional. You know what infinite heat feels like? Oh brother, give me a break

26 minutes ago, Strange said:

Wow. Impressive superpower

I know. It is the wonder of evolution to see and sense. Don't you?

26 minutes ago, Strange said:

possibly delusional) perceptions

Don't you see and sense the difference between air, water, stone etc.

Why do you think it is a delusion to recognize density differences?

How can be density difference exist in Absolute Infinity? Isn't absolute infinity suppose to mean absolute infinite mass in every point of spacetime as well? 

Edited by FreeWill

3 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

I know. It is the wonder of evolution to see and sense. Don't you?

Don't you see and sense the difference between air, water, stone etc.

Why do you think it is delusion to recognize density differences?

None of that tells you if the universe is finite or infinite. Obviously.

21 minutes ago, Strange said:

None of that tells you if the universe is finite or infinite. Obviously.

Why? 

I might have been misunderstanding something here,  but Absolute Infinity should mean that all components of reality (spacetime, energy, matter)  is infinite. 

Could you help me what Absolute Infinity is meaning if not what I think it is? 

Edited by FreeWill

Just now, FreeWill said:

I might have been misunderstanding something here,  Absolute Infinity should mean that all components of reality (spacetime, energy, matter)  is infinite. 

Could you help me what Absolute Infinity is meaning if not what I think it is? 

Correct. Absolute Infinity would contain anything and everything to an infinite degree. Smaller infinities, such as infinite energy or infinite mass would not be infinite in all respects. Just some. They’re relative infinities.