The SFN Server needs help

iNow

A few years ago when we were plagued by nuisance members we used a plug-in to set up a special user group. Any members in that group would have a horrible experience on the site until they gave up and went to troll elsewhere (long loading times, randomly incorrect pages, missing style sheets, broken images... you name it).

I wonder if @blike has put us all in that group angry.png

dave and I are supposed to have server responsibilities but neither of us has much time lately.

dave made some changes to the MySQL configuration recently, thinking he could tune its memory use. I keep records of every change made to the configuration, so I reverted the changes to see if that makes things better.

According to the counter at the bottom of each page, the site is currently taking five to ten seconds just to render a thread; that's clearly unacceptable, and I think MySQL has been choking. Hope this works.

dave and I are supposed to have server responsibilities but neither of us has much time lately.

dave made some changes to the MySQL configuration recently, thinking he could tune its memory use. I keep records of every change made to the configuration, so I reverted the changes to see if that makes things better.

According to the counter at the bottom of each page, the site is currently taking five to ten seconds just to render a thread; that's clearly unacceptable, and I think MySQL has been choking. Hope this works.

It definitely sped up when you did this. Thanks for fixing it.

I don't know if this relevant to the problem but whenever I ping this site all packets are always lost and has done since I can remember.

attachicon.gifScience Forum Ping.PNG

I think dave has ICMP firewalled off, so there are no ping replies.

Possible that we are currently experiencing the lamest DDoS attack ever.

Possibly. We're probably being assaulted for our shameless defense of Einsteinian relativistic orthodoxy.