Who Really Shot first?

CiSRA puzzle competition is open for another year, so I thought I'd post a favourite from last year's puzzles.

I've attached the PDF, but this is the text version of the puzzle (it's solvable either way):

Why, I belgeve ther're my few remaining years erieving for the loss special occasion, af course.
I tas a you haven't been keepsng up on current events, bht we just is you're not the only ono.
You don't love me! He'lt come back here. As I'vk pinched his lahdh key, th'll try animal you've trapped!
Waen you decide of betttng weren't scientipic, but teey they don't aell you in ahe church.
You ere illegally you'll be nead and I'll blow this place up and be oome in to mote yosr vohicle.
SPELTRE is a dedicaten fritereity whose _trength will continue to be as suscessful as his chess.

1B-Who-Really-Shot-First.pdf

Some of my previous puzzle threads:

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/64604-togetherness/

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/61121-rime-royal/ (No one solved this one)

Also, just a reminder for people to please use the [ spoiler] [/ spoiler] tags if you're posting solutions.

If you're stuck, these are the hints that were released after each day:

Hint 1.

Something tricky going on here... I wonder what the final scores are? Can we be sure?

Hint 2.

Nothing comes up trumps, and we should highlight that some people aren't good followers.

Hint 3.

Found an ambiguity and don't know what one to use? Try both!

Before I spend any time actually trying to work out the answer, is it

Han Solo

Nope

Edit: the puzzle is listed as hard, which for CiSRA means that it will take multiple steps to solve and won't be so obvious that you can solve it from the title (though the title will tie into the puzzle in some way).

Delta, to give you more of an idea of what kind of things can be expected, this is the worked version of a medium puzzle from two years ago.

Admittedly, getting to the end of this puzzle is not as abstract and does not need anything more than a pen and probably the internet to solve, but actually getting the right answer requires a degree of lateral thinking.

In relation to your answer,

it's actually somewhat along the right track, but it's only part of the story.

I was mostly joking, but did start making some progress after I posted. Thanks for the example and explanation, though. It confirms my suspicions about what I've gotten myself into, although so far I think this one is better suited to my personal taste in puzzles than that one.