Embedding images in sound files and high frequency headaches?

howlingmadpanda

I am sure some of you have heard of the "Pokemon lavender town theory" in which a certain town in a video game (Original Pokemon) played music that gave people headaches and made them have trouble sleeping (Including me, even before the theory surfaced). In sound file analysis reportedly images spelling things such as "Leave now" were found, is this possible? Also frequencies were around 44kHz on average, I knew anything on the infrasonic level could cause these such things, anybody know if this is truly possible? Here is an image (From somebody on PMC): http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/209/a/1/something_by_cosmicluigi101-d6fjs0n.png

44kHz is the sampling frequency of many digital sounds, meaning that it can't be reproduced as a sound. Anyway, you wouldn't hear it, nor be affected by it at any reasonably achievable loudness.

Images spelling? What does that mean? Of all software I have to display images, I expect none to direct a sound to the loudspeakers.

In sound file analysis reportedly images spelling things such as "Leave now" were found, is this possible?

How can a sound contain an image?

Also frequencies were around 44kHz on average

That is well beyond the range of human hearing. And beyond the range that can be encoded in a standard audio file. And probably beyond the range that can be reproduced by most systems. I am not aware of frquencies like this having any noticeable effects on people (unlike infrasound).

• 4 months later...

what you may be referring to are subliminal messages. Both audio and video have been used to promote political movements, commercial interests and the like since words like "thirsty?" were inserted into single frames of a movie at drive-ins back in the 1940s, to increase soda pop sales, or so I have read. I remember reading after the fall of the soviet union that an early act of the new administration was to ban subliminals in mass communications like russian television....more than likely, as commercial interests took over the role of master manipulator of their society, subs were re-introduced, if they ever disappeared, to push products, whereas they used to push a political agenda. This modern form of "manufacturing consent" is well documented by persons such as Noam Chomsky and others. And it is nothing new. Political propaganda with language manipulations and official control of popular art have always been used in the image promotions of kings and queens and before them by the dynasties of egypt to persuade a populace to fall into line with royal edicts....the best way to counter-act these influences is to recognize them for what they are and understand what the true aim of the particular media message is...thereby not being subcosciously manipulated by them.