C++ Builder and USB

Lowson

I am trying to make an application with C++Builder which communicates with a PIC16F877A which has a RS232 interface. Unfortunately my computer only has USB ports so I have bought a USB to RS232 converter cable.
Well I am a complete beginner to C++ Builder so really at this point I don't even know it will be possible to do this... Any help and advice would be really appreciated.

I am trying to make an application with C++Builder which communicates with a PIC16F877A which has a RS232 interface. Unfortunately my computer only has USB ports so I have bought a USB to RS232 converter cable.

Well I am a complete beginner to C++ Builder so really at this point I don't even know it will be possible to do this... Any help and advice would be really appreciated.

I don't think Borland C++ Builder will compile a binary that is compatible with your PIC. You might be able to get Microchip's compiler / linker and create build rules that will invoke them upon build. However, like moth, I've always used MPLAB with a USB programmer. Check out Microchip's website as well as the links moth gave you. Of course, the correct compiler / linker and static libraries will depend on your PIC.

Here is a link to Microchip's website regarding your PIC: http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en010242 . You should be able to find just about everything you'll need at their website. Also you'll need to confirm how you plan on communicating with the PIC if it is suppose to receive or send commands to a PC. I've had both RS232 serial port and USB capable PICs. If the PIC simply drives the device with no interaction with a PC, then you can decide to not use the serial port or USB.

Also, this should've been posted in the Computer Help subforum located in the Computer Science forum.

Edited by Daedalus