Electronic Score Keeping Solution Needed

MarkyMark1

I'm designing a new game that involves numerous players kicking a ball at a three-dimensional target. An electronic automated scorekeeper is needed.

This electronic automated scorekeeper needs the ability to understand when the ball (not a foot or other body part) contacts the target.

When the ball contacts the target the scorekeeper should increases the score.

The target will be stepped on and abused in the course of the game. The target must be low-profile or soft so that it does not injure a player when they step on it. Currently the target is made out of plastic and foam but other materials are considered. The ball may be leather, rubber, synthetic or comparable material.

Thanks!

My first thought was to make the ball special, incorporating a magnet for example.

My second thought is that the ball is already special: it is round. You need a system that recognize a round object. I think of a light beam (or infrared) on the target and photoelectric receivers in round shape that understand the round shadow of the ball.

In such a way that the ball only will turn the scorer on. If a player puts the ball gently with his hands it should not score.

Something like that.

---------------------

(edit)

Note: I'll take only 2% of the selling.

Edited by michel123456

An accelerometer in the target would detect contact at some level but not differentiate between the ball and other impacts. But if you could have the ball emitting a signal and the target receiving it, maybe signal strength in coincidence with the accelerometer registering contact would work.

An accelerometer may suffice, with proper signal processing, as the duration of the rebound is caracteristic, and its correlation with the rebound impulse even more.

Or cover the target with many contact sensors, maybe similar to a keyboard where foam gets conductive when compressed. The many contacts will tell if the object is round. The contact area can be correlated with the rebound duration, or even the are as a function of time during the rebound. Better: this discriminates simultaneous hits by a ball and a different object or a player.

An accelerometer may suffice, with proper signal processing, as the duration of the rebound is caracteristic, and its correlation with the rebound impulse even more.

Or cover the target with many contact sensors, maybe similar to a keyboard where foam gets conductive when compressed. The many contacts will tell if the object is round. The contact area can be correlated with the rebound duration, or even the are as a function of time during the rebound. Better: this discriminates simultaneous hits by a ball and a different object or a player.

great idea but you didn't mention your percentage smile.png

And if it hits your head?

Putting an accelerometer in the ball and the target would work for coincidences, because the two values should be related by both the ratio of the masses and the direction.

Thanks for the numerous and thoughtful replies. Some additional information:

The ball could contact the target with either the lightest touch or a violent impact combined with the feet of multiple players.

The webcam is interesting however there will be a plethora of targets and lots of bodies running full speed about the targets. The cams may impede play and the players could impede the cams view.

Accelerometers, while I don't know much about them, sound promising. I don't need 100 percent accuracy. It's only a game. Currently the targets are three dimensional with numerous appendages (but this can be changed if the solution we are seeking requires it) The targets sit on the ground and they will get stepped on.

And I can see you all understand the complexity of identifying the balls contact with the target as opposed to a foot.

Thanks again :)

Thanks for the numerous and thoughtful replies. Some additional information:

The ball could contact the target with either the lightest touch or a violent impact combined with the feet of multiple players.

The webcam is interesting however there will be a plethora of targets and lots of bodies running full speed about the targets. The cams may impede play and the players could impede the cams view.

Accelerometers, while I don't know much about them, sound promising. I don't need 100 percent accuracy. It's only a game. Currently the targets are three dimensional with numerous appendages (but this can be changed if the solution we are seeking requires it) The targets sit on the ground and they will get stepped on.

Well the old fashioned way would be to make a hole. When the ball reaches the bottom the score marks. I have invented golf.

And I can see you all understand the complexity of identifying the balls contact with the target as opposed to a foot.

Thanks again smile.png

The old fashioned way is to make a hole. When the ball reaches the bottom of the hole the score marks. Bingo, I have invented golf. Edited by michel123456

• 9 months later...

great idea but you didn't mention your percentage smile.png

Michel,
Thanks for your time and wisdom. Your answer is one of the first, in addition the the response below yours, that appears to be a very creative and plausible solution.
I am not an engineer or scientist nor smart guy. I'm just trying to support my family. So, most of this is way over my head. In fact, even if the answer right in front of me; like your answer; I wouldn't know it.
Im hoping to present this game to a company in a few months. My intention was to play the game with them without the electronics and explain the how the technology might work.
However, because of your potential solution, the one below, or a combination, for the first time I'm considering trying to produce a working prototype.
Do you think hiring someone to incorporate your solution, the one below yours, or a combination of the two run into the thousands of dollars?
If you have time, and its convenient, free to call me at 808.321.9877.
Thanks again!
Mark