Can we cure MRSA

I saw another case of mrsa infection on the news today. Is this curable?

I hear that copper is a good material to disinfect. Doxycycline works but it causes fungal infections and chest pains. Oral antibiotics seem to work, but topical don't do much. Draining them is not good for the environment so we need to find a way to utilize it or cure it. What else is known about the disease?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are some interesting studies being performed on the effectiveness of silver nanoparticles on increasing the effectiveness of antibiotics, they will definitely be something to keep an eye on! They have apparently in one study shown to increase effectiveness of an antibiotic by up to around 1000%, which is just the kind of thing we want to hear in a world of increasing antibiotic resistance!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody ,

The mainstay treatment of MRSA is the antibiotcs .

Vancomycin is a potent antibiotc for it , however if it's not sensitive to it , Linzolid can replace it .

MRSA eradication protocol is used widely used particularly for young children , for that , the Chlorohexidin is applied for five days as a bath .

• 2 months later...

Of course it can be cured.

Hospital should strengthen to examine the new hospital and MRSA susceptible people,

especially the burn ward, ICU, respiratory ward, onset and pediatric patients.

Bacteria room should choose accurate means of detection at the same time, find MRSA,

timely report to the clinical, in order to control infection and isolation treatment.

• 1 month later...

In the future, I expect that better antibiotic agents won't necessarily have the primary goal of killing an infectious disease, but rather change the way it can interact with the extracellular enviroment,, manipulate, bacterial adhesion, quorum sensing, etc.

Edited by sialic acid

People are using antiseptic soap now. It's doing a great job at fighting infections. I don't think you can buy it over the counter yet though.

People have been using antibacterial soap for a long time - which acts as a preventative for bacterial infection, however has little application as a cure.

A colleague of mine is working on phage therapy treatment for antibiotic resistant bacteria; i.e. using bacteriophages (viruses which attack bacteria) to treat infections of resistant bacteria, in conjunction with traditional antibiotics. The idea is that one of the ways in which bacteria become resistant is to generate more active efflux pumps to excrete antibiotics - thus driving bacteria to evolve more efflux pumps. Some bacteriophages bind to efflux pumps, using them to enter the cell - thus driving bacteria to evolve fewer efflux pumps. As such, you can drive an evolutionary trade off where combinatorial therapy prevents resistance to either treatment - at least until the bacteria evolve a novel trait which allows them to escape both treatments, that is.

Unfortunately, one of the biggest hurdles is also one of the major benefits of phage therapy - in that phages, being RNA viruses have very high mutation rates, and thus evolutionary potential, so the phage could evolve alongside the bacteria, preventing resistance. However this makes phages very specific to particular infectious agents, and also makes them very hard to keep stable, and thus patent - and therefore apply FDA approval etc to.

Among microbiologists there is a joke with regards to antibacterial soaps. How do you call cheap antibacterial soap? -Soap.

Really, just washing hands (regardless of types of soap) has shown great benefits, but in many hospitals adherence to hygiene protocols are lax.

In private households the overuse of

Among alternatives to antibiotics it appears that phage therapy, with all its issues appears to be furthest in actual use. Other alternatives (such as sortase inhibitors) are currently of unknown therapeutic value.