How would I know that a Dell has dual boot?

MonDie

My pap's computer was running Windows, and now it runs Ubuntu. My brother probably changed it, but we can't contact my brother, and we don't know that the computer still has Windows installed. My pap needs Windows to run his tax software.

I got into the BIOS with F2, and this is the list of boot devices:

1. Onboard or USB Floppy Drive (not present)

2. Onboard SATA Hard Drive (not present)

3. SATA0-Hitachi HDS721680PLA380

4. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive

5. Onboard Network Controller

6. USB Device (not present)

Edited by Mondays Assignment: Die

The computer will boot to the third option, since the first two are not available. There, it will run whatever boot software is on the MBR (Master Boot Record). Nowadays, I think most Linux distributions come with a boot loader called GRUB (though that may vary), and the usual procedure if you're dual booting is to make it so you can choose what OS to start when the computer boots.

Now, if you don't get a menu in the beginning, it's likely that the Windows partition was wiped when Linux was installed. To make sure, insert a Windows CD/DVD and reboot. If any remnants of Windows remain, the installation program should find it and be able to restore it (which removes GRUB so you can't start Linux without further tinkering). If it doesn't find anything, Windows is gone and will need to be reinstalled.

I really appreciate your help!

Apparently my brother does have his phone with him, and he told me that Windows has been uninstalled. My dad doesn't know where he put the Windows CD, so I'm trying to run the program with WINE. I've never done this before, but I hope it works, and I hope he doesn't tell me to do any more chores.

Wine is pretty awesome at emulating a Windows environment, but it doesn't work for every program. Don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

Best thing would, of course, be to find that Windows CD. If Wine doesn't work, and you can't find the CD, maybe give this a go:

http://www.reactos.org/

It's a free OS, designed to mimic the Windows architecture, which means you can run Windows programs on it. I've never tried it, but apparently it should work all right.

It isn't working. Whenever I try to open the .exe file with WINE, it tells me the program had to close either because of a program defect or a WINE deficiency. I downloaded WINE from the software center. It was simply titled "Wine Windows Program Loader," and it had the red wine glass as its icon.

Edited by Mondays Assignment: Die

That's a shame then. Typically, the more complext (big) a program is, the less chance of it actually working in Wine.

Feel free to give React OS a chance though, at least until you can find the CD!