Heads up on suicide

Popcorn Sutton

Throughout my life I've known people who have either commit suicide or have tried several times. They all have something in common, there is always a brother and a sister. We might need to give people the heads up on potential experiences that have side effects as well.

I'm sorry it impacted you that way, I'm just describing the regularity I've noticed.

But... really?!?! Just because you have a few anecdotes, you automatically assume it true for everyone? You really can't Google and find literally thousands of people posting their story about only children committing suicide?!? (sadly, often the parents.)

This is just lazy. And I agree with the above, offensive. If you truly cared, you would have put 7 seconds of research into showing your idea is bunk.

Edited by Bignose

Popcorn, the problem people have here is that you have a couple of examples.... and that is not enough to extrapolate that to a general rule.

It might be just coincidence. And there are methods - using statistics - to prove that it is not just coincidence. The best method is to take a MUCH larger sample, meaning you look at many many more suicides, and see if in all those cases siblings play any role. We're not talking 10 more, but we're talking hundreds to thousands before this becomes statistically significant.

But your "theory" has another problem. The large majority of people have siblings. So, it is extremely likely that someone who commits suicide also has siblings. This link says that 80% of Americans (pdf warning) have at least one sibling.

It is like saying: "all cases of suicide or attempted suicide was by people who were breathing air containing oxygen". It's true, but it's a pretty useless remark.

You know, another interesting fact is that everyone who has commit suicide, in fact everyone who has died, has also drank water.

I'm just throwing out a bit of information that other people might be able to work with, not that my personal research actually involves topics such as these.

But it really kills me when I hear these things. I can barely hold back tears.

You know, another interesting fact is that everyone who has commit suicide, in fact everyone who has died, has also drank water.

lol

Were these people who killed themselves all poor or close to poor? Were they all males or females?

They've all been males and the behavior started around the age of 13. There was almost certainly sexual activity between the siblings. In one case that I know, the family caught them in the act.

It has ranged across social class. All cases that I know of are local.

They've all been males and the behavior started around the age of 13. There was almost certainly sexual activity between the siblings. In one case that I know, the family caught them in the act.

It has ranged across social class. All cases that I know of are local.

lol sounds like you're making it up as you go....

You're saying that the older sister manipulated the younger bro into sex.

The shame could drive someone to kill themselves.

I'm just throwing out a bit of information that other people might be able to work with,

That's what people are objecting to. You are just throwing it out without the care and attention that the subject deserves. Elsewhere you have the audacity to describe these casual observations of events as research. So not only have you offended people who may have lost loved ones, you have offended science.

I suspect you are a pretty decent person, intelligent, well meaning and inquisitive, but why not make the decision today to start using that intelligence. It won't be too painful.

Well, for topics involving psychology and methods of psychiatry, I'm inclined to make a statement because it is within the realm of my reality. I can't stand to hear stories of people attempting or committing suicide. It breaks my heart. If I can do anything to help people understand this behavior, then the risk of putting myself out there is far less than the benefit it may have. Maybe its not research, and if you don't want me to call it that then fine. My research involves other things, and to me, there seems to be a pragmatic regularity in all cases that I know. This is why I suggested that we put disclaimers on the possible side effects of experiences. You blow up at a mcdonalds and start screaming obscenities because they havent given you your drink, then you might have anxiety associated with that event that lingers for a while. Same goes for other experiences, some of which may literally cause you to want to die. The context that one is exposed to is probably not reducible to chemicals or chemical imbalances (unless the chemicals equate to the knowledge of the experience). And causing a stroke may seem to have beneficial therapeutic effects, but by doing so, you are putting their life in danger. Even if they don't realize they had a stroke, they may have had a series of minor strokes (which seems to be the case with anti depressants).

Again, I'm no expert in psychiatry, but I have studied the brain extensively, and I have made computational models that, I think, replicate neural processes very well. The point is that behavior can be prompted with the right input.

I do also believe that your previous post was fallacious, and if it were up to me, I wouldn't use fallacies. And I don't like having to point them out, so please, make sure youre not being fallacious before you post.

Thanks for refining my ontology. I really appreciate this community.

I do also believe that your previous post was fallacious, and if it were up to me, I wouldn't use fallacies. And I don't like having to point them out, so please, make sure youre not being fallacious before you post.

Thanks for refining my ontology. I really appreciate this community.

Two problems.

What previous post?, and what fallacy?

It's not enough to say that something is wrong, you have to explain what is wrong and why.

Well, linguistically, audacity is vacuous, which can be seen as fallacious and could prompt emotional response. People are people, psychology is suffering from the same problem linguistics was suffering from before I called them out on it, and that is categorization (labeling). Psychological attributes are materialistically undefined and therefor irrelevant. If I were to give a material definition to audacity, it would be a unit of knowledge, which is extremely difficult to point to an object that equates to this concept. Even if we did find the object that equates to this concept, it would probably be some kind of sound that caused it to take shape, which means that it only arises within specific contexts, probably around specific words or phrases. I don't know enough about Ophiolite to say what would have prompted that specific word.

She (?) Also overgeneralizes when she says I offended science (which may also be ad hominem).

I'd also like to point out that I have seen the burden of proof being thrown around viciously. The burden of proof is on all of us.

Edited by Popcorn Sutton

psychology is suffering from the same problem linguistics was suffering from before I called them out on it

Lol.

Now, perhaps you would care to explain your earlier comment "I do also believe that your previous post was fallacious"

so, as I said.

Two problems.
What previous post?, and what fallacy?
It's not enough to say that something is wrong, you have to explain what is wrong and why.

There are many reasons for suicide (I should know I tried once) the OP seems to be trying to be controversial for the sake of it and
offers little other than that. The suggestion that it equates to sibling rivalry is at best pure speculation at worst it’s just bloody disrespectful of those who are truly suffering.