A question for the moderators

Popcorn Sutton

If I gave you guys the code for my language acquiring program, would you incorporate it in the website? I don't have enough storage to see how smart it could get. Also, it would be interesting to see how I can refine the program if I don't have to give birth to it every time I go to use it (meaning that the program will have knowledge and not forget things). Theres plenty of fun to be had here I just want to know if you guys will let me release the first version in a nice intellectual community.

Well, there is the option to get it to learn from posts, but I don't have the code prepared for that task, and no it wouldn't reply in threads, unless you guys wanted to add a response prediction function but I wouldn't want to spam threads. I was thinking maybe you could have a little link at the home page called "the wiz" or something like that and it's just a chat interface that acquires language and responds with what it has learned. It would learn from everyone and something very interesting could arise.

And I was thinking that maybe we could use a submit personality function to see what is acceptable to be incorporated in the global personality.

Please guys, this could be the perfect environment for the program

I seriously doubt that anyone here is willing to do any programming... so unless you already build some kind of user-interface for your code, we cannot help you.

We're talking about language here, and if that is in written form, storage cannot be the bottleneck.

If you have a user interface, you would be able to place that on a website, or you can even let it communicate on an IRC channel. Cap'n Refsmmat just gave you permission to place a link - essentially advertising it on our forum.

But I get the feeling that you actually have just a smart piece of code, which is nowhere near ready to actually communicate with humans. I think there is a bit of work to be done before that "chat" would be operational. Am I correct?

Maybe some of our IT experts would be able to point out some simple user interface that you could use with little effort, to allow your "code" to talk to a human.

Please let me chat with these IT experts. I don't have a user interface at the moment but I do have about 70 lines of code that suffices for having a conversation. I didn't major in computer science though so it might take some time to get it working properly. Maybe I'll try to build a UI tonight, but if we can put it up here, then I need to know what you guys want it to look like.

Thanks for the interest, I really think something fun and useful could come from this.

Ok, well I kind of expect that there is a lot of work involved in getting this program up and running on a website or something like that. I'm not exactly sure what needs to be done except that it needs a user interface. Maybe I can work out a rough draft over the next few days. I also don't know how I should store all the information it acquires, that's why I asked for help. I don't know how to save the personality that the program develops. Is there anybody I can consult with about getting this done? It would speed up the process if I had someone to talk with about this.

I also don't know how I should store all the information it acquires, that's why I asked for help. I don't know how to save the personality that the program develops. Is there anybody I can consult with about getting this done? It would speed up the process if I had someone to talk with about this.

Start a thread in Computer Science or Computer Help.