Copy and pasting into the message body causes problems

Source: Google book

Using the title of the book from the left side of the HTML webpage from gives this...

Maternal, Fetal, & Neonatal Physiology: A Clinical Perspective

... well, it looks like this: (attached)

post-3134-0-63538100-1362446224_thumb.png

Edited by Genecks

Can say a bit more what the problem is or what you are expecting to see?

I would prefer to see it in normal/default font size rather than some enlarged font character.

Because, otherwise, I am not sure if whatever I am copying and pasting is going to be turned into a default/normal font size.

Go to View > Zoom > Reset. You can press Alt to bring up the Menu bar to see the View tab. Try copy/pasting after doing that. Just to make sure, do it on the problem page you linked to.

Edited by StringJunky

I would prefer to see it in normal/default font size rather than some enlarged font character.

Because, otherwise, I am not sure if whatever I am copying and pasting is going to be turned into a default/normal font size.

I see what you're saying. All of the formatting options of the thing you copy are carried over into the posting window when you paste (urls, bold, font size...). It's smart copy/paste. So, if you copy large bold text, it will be large and bold when you paste it.

To fix... after you paste it, select it then click the "remove formatting" button. It's the second one from the left that looks like a pink and white eraser

Edited by Iggy

Pasting is going to try to preserve the font information from the source when you use the default WYSIWYG editor. It's a "feature". I typically don't want all that font embellishment; it's usually wrong in the context of a post. IMO, preserving font information is a misfeature, not a feature.

The remedy is to get out of the WYSIWYG mode. (Another misfeature: WYSIWIG mode isn't quite WYSIWIG). When you are starting a new thread or replying to a post, you should see a command panel just below the topic title. At the far left there's a toggle switch icon. Click it. That will send you into bbedit mode. Pasting when you are in this mode pastes as plain text.

1st attempt done. The formatting does not show after posting.

----------

Note: DH is correct.

If the bold format disturbs you, use the toggle button twice and its gone.

Edited by michel123456

1st attempt done. The formatting does not show after posting.

Yep. The so-called WYSIWYG interface (what you see is what you get) is not WYSIWYG. Sometimes the formatting you see comes across in the post, sometimes it doesn't.

Unfortunately, the so-called WYSIWYM interface (what you say is what you mean, which is supposedly what switching the toggle gives you) is not WYSIWYM. The principle author of this forum's software apparently is dead-set against markup or markdown languages. The software doesn't quite support this alternate editor, and sometimes it thinks knows better than you.

The "paste as plain text" is the 3rd button from the RHS on the top row

post-32514-0-17575600-1362566811_thumb.jpg

By the way - does anyone know how to get the little pop-up descriptions of a button to stay there whilst you take a screenshot?

attachicon.gifPaste as Plain Text.jpg

By the way - does anyone know how to get the little pop-up descriptions of a button to stay there whilst you take a screenshot?

It could be operating system specific. I just hit print screen while it was popped up.

post-7948-0-41410300-1362568854_thumb.png

attachicon.gifPaste as Plain Text.jpg

Press the Print Screen (PRT SC or PRTSCN) button on the keyboard then open an imaging app like Faststone Image Viewer Menu > Edit > Paste. You can crop the image with the app as well. If you wanted to keep the cursor as well you need an app which delays the capture by some predetermined time whilst you put the cursor back.

Edit: Iggy beat me.

Edited by StringJunky

Press the Print Screen (PRT SC or PRTSCN) button on the keyboard then open an imaging app like Faststone Image Viewer Menu > Edit > Paste. You can crop the image with the app as well. If you wanted to keep the cursor as well you need an app which delays the capture by some predetermined time whilst you put the cursor back.

Edit: Iggy beat me.

If you want the cursor some app has a checkbox for that. example gadwin printscreen (free).

Yeah - I might have to look at various possibilities for another program to perform the screen capture. I can probably vary the time delay by using a terminal command - but sounds a lot of effort .

post-32514-0-58453300-1362591513.jpg

yep - that works. Nice work around - thank you everyone for the help

The remedy is to get out of the WYSIWYG mode. (Another misfeature: WYSIWIG mode isn't quite WYSIWIG). When you are starting a new thread or replying to a post, you should see a command panel just below the topic title. At the far left there's a toggle switch icon. Click it. That will send you into bbedit mode. Pasting when you are in this mode pastes as plain text.

I keep the lightswitch off. It's less of a pain if I do the BBCode myself.

• 1 month later...

To fix... after you paste it, select it then click the "remove formatting" button. It's the second one from the left that looks like a pink and white eraser

is there a way to disable this rather than having to click it every time i post or something ? Edited by krash661