Reducing to reclaim bismuth.

emcelhannon

How about contamination by solder? I'm getting crystal growth, but it's all coming out silver, (no color). I'm guessing that the tin and other contaminates are floating to the top, and coat everything with a protective layer when I pour it. I jack up the heat and skim it throughout the day and have once been able to reclaim the remainder.

Question. What is a better way to separate a large pot of Bi from small amounts of solder?

Many thanks,

Ernie

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Does activation of the charcoal make a difference? I often have black powder remaining. I assume this is mostly carbon. I don't fully understand mechanical activation, but I'm guessing I can continue to use my left over charcoal. Am I right?

Many thanks,

E.

I tried to get Bi from the pepto bismol subsulactate route, got a black sludge, when put in a Bunsen burner, turned into a gray powder, huge disappointment, but not discouraging haha

Too much heat. Try a stovetop, or even a hot plate.

As for activation, I don't think it does: carbon is carbon.