Terraforming Mars

Cerius

Since watching the newest Rover land on Mars I have thought again about what it would take to terraform Mars.

Terraforming Mars has some good ideas, yet I don't know what would be the most practical at this time.

I had thought about forcing a Chemical reaction in the atmosphere could be one way. What I was thinking is Finding a way to Split the CO2 into something else. One possibility could be to force a massive H2O reaction in the Atmosphere. I Was thinking maybe 10 Megagams of Hydrogen and 5 Megagrams of Oxygen would be a good start. Seeing as I have do not have a formal science background I do not know what would happen or even if this would do anything. I do know that if everything went right that it would make Carbonic Acid. All ideas are welcome.

Since watching the newest Rover land on Mars I have thought again about what it would take to terraform Mars.

Terraforming Mars has some good ideas, yet I don't know what would be the most practical at this time.

I had thought about forcing a Chemical reaction in the atmosphere could be one way. What I was thinking is Finding a way to Split the CO2 into something else. One possibility could be to force a massive H2O reaction in the Atmosphere. I Was thinking maybe 10 Megagams of Hydrogen and 5 Megagrams of Oxygen would be a good start. Seeing as I have do not have a formal science background I do not know what would happen or even if this would do anything. I do know that if everything went right that it would make Carbonic Acid. All ideas are welcome.

The biggest issue is the lack of a magnetosphere. With out it, Earth would have been stripped of most of our atmosphere. The magnetosphere also shields us from radiation. Whats the point of terraforming if the radiation levels are so high most organisms would not survive at the surface?

The atmosphere stops the ionizing rays. But without a magnetic field, an atmosphere won't stay.

What would be the most practical at this time -> None.

A friend of mines suggested to bring water by pulling an asteroid out of its way to collide with Mars. Not even this small deviation is presently feasible.

Can't we make an artificial magnetic field where powerful magnets (powered by some other source such as sun) are placed at the poles of the mars. Then the magnetic field protects us from the harmful radiation from the sun.

Or, instead of creating magnetic fields for the whole planet, we can make magnetic field only for the places planned to be habituated.

To get more oxygen on Mars, plants can be grown on mars. Plants require following components to grow:

1. Water (Can be harvested from frozen lakes on mars)

2. Temperature (specialized greenhouses can be created on mars)

3. nutrients (Initial amount of nutrients can be delivered to mars from earth along with nitrogen harvesting bacteria)

4. water retaining soil (No ideas guys. Throw some.)

5. Initial oxygen for plant respiration (Created from some reactions. Photosynthesis can be carried out with available CO2 on mars).

Edited by nikhil gona

Can't we make an artificial [planetary] magnetic field...

No. Unless you prove with sensible engineering figures it can be done.

Or... make magnetic field only for the places planned to be inhabitated.

Neither. This won't stop rays.

To get more oxygen on Mars, plants...

No man-assembled biosphere has ever worked. If you achieve this just on Earth, just with plants if you feel it simpler, you'll be famous.