Applications of the Gamma function

Dave

I've decided to write my essay (see the other thread that's hanging around somewhere or other) on the gamma function and Euler's constant. However, I am have much difficulty in finding applications of these concepts anywhere else in mathematics other than pretty abstract stuff. If anyone knows any good books/articles/journals that I can have a look at, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

The gamm function is used in stats: the sum of poisson distributions is a gamma dist, i seem to think. Well, in any case, mutatis mutandis that is correct.

It also gives a functional relationship for the riemann zeta function that allows us to deduce where the poles of the analytic continuation are. (Used in some parts of physics that care about random matrix theory. see work of Jon Keating and MIchael Berry).

How about the fact that the Gamma function can help in calculating integrals and simplifying expressions. Not to forget that you can use them to make a short hand notation for the pochhammer symbols. The gamma function often comes about in special function theory and is therefore also usefull in finding analytic solutions of some DE's !

Mandrake