Bell's Theorem

sjmson

I'll be happy to point you to some good references AND present an alternative view, a neglected one: one in line with Bell's own views; one that shoots him down! So I'll be back. In meantime here's something to ponder:

My wholly classical analysis of Bell's theorem begins with the acceptance of Einstein-locality. It continues with Bell's hope: "... the explicit representation of quantum nonlocality [in 'the de Broglie-Bohm theory'] ... started a new wave of investigation in this area. Let us hope that these analyses also may one day be illuminated, perhaps harshly, by some simple constructive model. However that may be, long may Louis de Broglie* continue to inspire those who suspect that what is proved by impossibility proofs is lack of imagination," (Bell 2004: 167). "To those for whom nonlocality is anathema, Bell's Theorem finally spells the death of the hidden variables program.31 But not for Bell. None of the no-hidden-variables theorems persuaded him that hidden variables were impossible," (Mermin 1993: 814). [All emphasis and [.] added by GW.]

References
:

Aspect (2004):

Bell (1964):

Bell (2004): Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics; 2nd edition. CUP, Cambridge.

Mermin (1993):
Rev. Mod. Phys.
, 3, 803-815. Footnote #31: "Many people contend that Bell's Theorem demonstrates nonlocality independent of a hidden-variables program, but there is no general agreement about this."

Watson (1998):
Phys. Essays
, 3, 413-421. See also ERRATUM (1999):
Phys. Essays
, 1, 191. A peer-reviewed* draft of ideas here, its exposition clouded by the formalism and type-setting errors. *However, completing the circle, one reviewer was a former student and close colleague of de Broglie.
tongue.gif

More soon, Gordon

Edited by Gordon Watson