• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 anotherfilthyape

anotherfilthyape

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 4 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Stephen Hawkings have claimed that philosophy is dead but, what does he know about philosophy? Does he know enough to understand how wrong his statement is? Or is he highly biased because he does not know much about philosophy? anyone knows?

#2 PeterJ

PeterJ

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

I do not know. But I would imagine that he is not very good at it, like so many scientists these days, so prefers to rubbish it.

But then I am not a fan of his approach, which seems to involve the worst kind of futile scientism.

The idea that physics can solve big problems while avoiding philosophy is so absurd that it does not need discussing.

Mind you, the way philosophy presents itself these days I can sympathise with anyone who thinks it is dead. I would agree with Hawkings as far as western academic philosophy goes. Fortunately this is not all of philosophy, just the collected footnotes to Plato.

#3 robheus

robheus

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hawking also made the prediction that physics would come to en end within 10 years. That statement he made 24 years ago.

I think that the only thing which is going to be dead in 10 years from now is Hawking himself.

#4 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNear Leicester, UK

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

.........................I think that the only thing which is going to be dead in 10 years from now is Hawking himself.

At 74 years of age I hope you are right!Posted Image

Trying to make some sense of it all,

But I can see that it makes no sense at all

#5 robheus

robheus

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

At 74 years of age I hope you are right!Posted Image

Well I am in no way hoping that, but I think it is a realistic prognose.

#6 hypervalent_iodine

hypervalent_iodine

Empress of Everything

• Moderators
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

!

Moderator Note

Mohammad Shafiq Khan,

Welcome back from your holiday. Once again I remind you that you are not permitted to reintroduce your pet theory and that you are especially not allowed to hijack other threads with it. I have removed your comment from this thread.

Please also be aware that the next step should you choose to keep ignoring staff warnings is a permanent ban from SFN.

#7 Mohammad Shafiq Khan

Mohammad Shafiq Khan

Quark

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but illusion of knowledge.”Stephen Hawking
Since science is not absolute so if the knowledge of physics of Stephen Hawking is shown to an illusion then he is to be considered as the greatest enemy of knowledge of physics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users