Trouble Identifying Bacteria (API Strips)

I work at a pharmaceutical company and Im having trouble identifying a few bacteria. All of the isolates come from a cleanroom so there isn't stuff like anthrax and chlymadia. It's common bacteria found on the skin. I use API Staph strips, Strep strips, 20 NE strips, CHB for rods and 20E strips. Once in awhile i get bacteria that doesnt give results for any of the strips. It seems to be a gram positive rod under the microscope. Should I have other strips in addition to the ones I have listed? Also are there other strips or media that will help identify bacteria that is rod shaped and gram positive?

• 1 month later...

Check with your local BioMerieux rep. He or she could help you out. One issue with API is that you have to have an idea of what you're looking for so that you can use the proper selective media before you use the API strip.

There are other metabolic technologies out there, such as Biolog.

You could also contact a university that genotyping or ribotyping. One with medical school or a veterinary school might have such services available. Many years ago, I had a gram positive rod ribotyped for about $200.

I work at a pharmaceutical company and Im having trouble identifying a few bacteria. All of the isolates come from a cleanroom so there isn't stuff like anthrax and chlymadia. It's common bacteria found on the skin. I use API Staph strips, Strep strips, 20 NE strips, CHB for rods and 20E strips. Once in awhile i get bacteria that doesnt give results for any of the strips. It seems to be a gram positive rod under the microscope. Should I have other strips in addition to the ones I have listed? Also are there other strips or media that will help identify bacteria that is rod shaped and gram positive?

• 1 year later...