How to deplate copper?

jdurg

Update: I evaporated the water off of a small sample. First, roughly 2-3mLs of soln were put into a test tube. Then were heated with a small alcohol lamp. At first only water vapour was given off, but as less water was present, a thick smoke was coming out of the end of the test tube. I wafted the smoke, and it smelled kinda like ammonia, Im not sure if it is though. Usually, when i smell ammonia, it doesnt burn my nose, this stuff was pungent. Maybe it is more concentrated, I dont know. Anyways, the soln started to turn turquoise, and then yellow. I think there was another vapour given off, but i cant remember (even though it was only 5 minutes ago) I think it was a reddish brown, maybe NO2. Whatever, thanks for your help. Im going to bring a sample to school and see what my teacher has to say...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I specificaly stated NOT to let it crystalise!

heating it is a NO NO!

TACN is a Primary explosive, you`re lucky you`re not pulling glass out what remains of your teeth with broken fingers!

anymore stupidity like that, and I`ll close this thread down!

the point being. DON`T take the chance/risk!

a loud bang (and I never actualy said that in ANY post) is STILL a bad thing inside a glass vessel that you`re holding! (I sincerely hope you agree with me there!).

I have no problem with "Curious(ity)" either, but I did specificaly state NOT to do it and another user stated WHy not to do it, and there you go heating the stuff up over a meths burner!

how STUPID can you get!????

anyway, I`ve said my peice, learn from it don`t be such a dang idiot next time! :)

I specificaly stated NOT to let it crystalise!

heating it is a NO NO!

TACN is a Primary explosive' date=' you`re lucky you`re not pulling glass out what remains of your teeth with broken fingers!

anymore stupidity like that, and I`ll close this thread down![/quote']

now im confused and curious. what is the crystalized stuff? zinc? why is it explosive? under what conditions?

i have read through the thread but most of what you guys say goes right over my head. i have only taken highschool level chemistry, which didnt click for me nearly as well as physics did.

(just a little FYI, im the kind of person where its probably better if you tell me so i dont get the urge to go find out. im one of those kids who walked around with a purple "U" on their thumbs from sticking the hair pin in the socket.)

i have been doin this for a while many times. Take pennies and heat them over a burner until the glow. THe copper forms a sack with molten zinc inside. If you are holding the penny with pliers it will hang down. Take a sharp object and poke a hole in the sack and the molten zinc will pour out. I made a zinc dollar sign a while ago out of like 30 pennies of zinc (back then i had no idea it was zinc). so yes, hold it under direct flame for a minute or so.

screw the Govornment (see the " Appendix thread", basicly they`re mostly useless and full of poison also).

as for the FACTS of the matter (this IS the Chemistry section after all), a Primary Explosive is one that used to detonate a secondary (Duuugh) and the the main charge.

primaries are used as the "middle bit" of a precussion cap, preceeded by a simple conflagatory material to the "Primary" then to the secondary in the cap.

now then, you were talking about "Legal"?????

you guys realize all of this is defacing government property and is therefore illegal' date=' right?

[/quote']

Wrong.

"Federal law specifically forbids the "fraudulent mutilation, diminution, and falsification of coins" (see US Code, Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure, Part I - Crimes, Chapter 17 - Coins and Currency, Paragraph 331). The key word is Fraudulent. As long as you don't alter coins with an intent to defraud, then you can pretty much do whatever you wish with coins, including squishing them on railroad tracks, flattening them into elongated souvenirs at tourist traps, or crushing them with electromagnetic fields. I take great pains to tell folks exactly what they are receiving and how the process was accomplished. This is also why those vending machines in tourist traps that squash pennies into elongated souvenirs or "funny" stamped pennies with Lincoln smoking a cigar are indeed legal (although they can't be used as currency anymore). The official position of the US Mint is that they "frown on the despicable practice" of altering coins, but they also agree that it is indeed legal to shrink coins."

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinker.html

Yeah, Lance is completely correct. You can do anything you want to a coin as long as you don't make any attempt to pass it off as anything other than an altered coin. (I.E. you can copper plate a 1943 Steel Cent, but if you then try and pass it off as a real 1943 Copper Cent you'd be breaking the law). Those EM Shrunken coins are incredibly sweet looking. It's amazing how much that guy can shrink those coins with just a really strong magnet. (I forget his e-bay name, but he constantly has shrunken coins up there).

but they also agree that it is indeed legal to shrink coins."

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinker.html

:eek:

WTF?

so yt, you seem to say its a "primary explosive" as though that means it should be treated with extra caution. are primary explosive more powerful(pound for pound) than secondaries? or just easier to set off? or none of the above?

Those EM Shrunken coins are incredibly sweet looking. It's amazing how much that guy can shrink those coins with just a really strong magnet. (I forget his e-bay name, but he constantly has shrunken coins up there).

Yep. I really wish I had some huge pulse rated capacitors so I could do that too. Unfortunately they weigh and cost a LOT. :-(

The actual set up is pretty simple though. He just discharges a few capacitors through a few coils of wire.

:eek:

WTF?

so yt' date=' you seem to say its a "primary explosive" as though that means it should be treated with extra caution. are primary explosive more powerful(pound for pound) than secondaries? or just easier to set off? or none of the above?[/quote']

that`s correct, they should be. not because they`re more powerfull, but because they`re often friction sensitive and/or heat sensitive, wereas secondaries are aren`t and main charge explosives are generaly quite safe to almost inert in sensitivity and require a det cap of the right size and frequently require a critical diameter for effective shockwave propogation.

I think the big separation between primary and secondary explosives is what is required to make them 'explode'. A primary explosive will explode whether it is confined or in the open air. A secondary explosive will only explode if it is confined while it will burn rapidly if left in the open air. I think nitrocellulose is considered a secondary explosive since it will burn rapidly in open air, but if you confine it in a tight space it will explode. (Although, I get this feeling that I'm confusing this with some other type of classification).