How long do you shower for?

Mr Rayon

Would a nozzle alone be able to do that? I thought shower heads are more cosmetic, they just change the way the water is distributed but don't actually change the pressure or anything.

Oh yes. They have a very basic one that the local water company gives away free. It doesn't change settings, but it's set to deliver a really powerful, thin spray that uses a lot less water. When you force the water through a finer hole, you get less water coming out but it's under higher pressure.

The one I have now has a detachable head with a bunch of settings. I bought it for the massaging jets but since then we've gone through a few droughts and I can't justify the waste for the half-assed massage you get from the jets. Sure, a little sensation is better than nothing, I guess, but it's tough to enjoy wasting water after you've showered over a bucket so you could use the run-off to flush your toilet.

I wonder if there are so many people who like to shower for really long periods there could be a market for a water diverting system. You shower and use your shampoo and shower gel, rinse yourself off well and then kick in the water diverter. You would thus keep recycling the clean water that runs off your clean body for as long as you like without wasting water. Finally kick the diverter back for really pure water for a final rinse. You would need to incorporate some sort of low power water heating system for the recycled water.

It wouldn't appeal to me as once I feel clean and refreshed I want my breakfast. Eating cornflakes under a shower probably wouldn't be a good idea!

Great idea. I can't even think of a reason why the local utilities wouldn't like it too. It probably wouldn't save any money, since your diverter mechanism would need to be powered/pressured to put the water back in the system, but it would definitely save a LOT of water.

Without changing water pressure, there would need to be a way to "atomize" the water (maybe fluid oscillators as with modern windshield washer nozzles) into tiny droplets that fly in various directions. In doing this, it exposes more water surface to the air causing it to transfer more of its heat to the air, instead of going down the drain, and so it'll act like steam and heat the shower area without so much wet.

Wow, it sounds like this might be a way to have steam without all the negative effects on the plumbing. If it's atomized as it comes out, it wouldn't have to have the heat and pressure that destroys most steam bath systems. I would love to test something like this. Meaning, make one up and send it to me, I'd like to have a nice steam and try it out.

Oh yes. They have a very basic one that the local water company gives away free. It doesn't change settings, but it's set to deliver a really powerful, thin spray that uses a lot less water. When you force the water through a finer hole, you get less water coming out but it's under higher pressure.

The one I have now has a detachable head with a bunch of settings. I bought it for the massaging jets but since then we've gone through a few droughts and I can't justify the waste for the half-assed massage you get from the jets. Sure, a little sensation is better than nothing, I guess, but it's tough to enjoy wasting water after you've showered over a bucket so you could use the run-off to flush your toilet.

Oh goodness!

I'm in a "green" apartment. At first, the shower felt like a trickling faucet but I'm used to it now. And my utilities are less.

I'm in a "green" apartment. At first, the shower felt like a trickling faucet but I'm used to it now. And my utilities are less.

If they'll let you change the shower head, you should be able to get one that doesn't trickle and doesn't cost more to use. There needs to be some force to the water to rinse you off, but you don't need volume.

It's probably a good idea to change your shower head every once in a while. You get used to things like that quickly. A new spray for your daily showers could be refreshing. You should try it and let us know. Better yet, upload some video.

• 3 weeks later...