45 Year depression

dimreepr

I now have inner peace.

"Bullshit" I hear you cry that's just mystical mumbo jumbo. So you're a Buddhist now? Nope. Buddhism is only relevant if you're from the culture it was intended to teach. No I'm just a bloke who has had his knowledge, of the world and how it relates him, switch flick to understanding. I had four similar switches to flick for this to happen;

1. The illusion of control. Ironically Kung fu panda helped me flick this switch cheers Buddha

2. The illusion of understanding. This forum's responsible for me flicking this switch big up thanks guys.

3. Living in the moment. Again Kung fu panda, partly, and "inow" in questioning his name thanks mate.

4. Expectations. This was and still is the trickiest for me . The flick of this switch needs constant re-flicking. I've got my dog tatty and my friend charly to thank for this one. The mantra I use, when someone has annoyed me because of my expectation, to re-flick this one is "that's just me in a different skin so why not smile at me".

Hope this post helps you flick a switch or two...

I now have inner peace.

"Bullshit" I hear you cry that's just mystical mumbo jumbo. So you're a Buddhist now? Nope. Buddhism is only relevant if you're from the culture it was intended to teach. No I'm just a bloke who has had his knowledge, of the world and how it relates him, switch flick to understanding. I had four similar switches to flick for this to happen;

1. The illusion of control. Ironically Kung fu panda helped me flick this switch cheers Buddha

2. The illusion of understanding. This forum's responsible for me flicking this switch big up thanks guys.

3. Living in the moment. Again Kung fu panda, partly, and "inow" in questioning his name thanks mate.

4. Expectations. This was and still is the trickiest for me . The flick of this switch needs constant re-flicking. I've got my dog tatty and my friend charly to thank for this one. The mantra I use, when someone has annoyed me because of my expectation, to re-flick this one is "that's just me in a different skin so why not smile at me".

This is a really tricky concept to get past people. Jesus understood this and as he only managed to flick 13 peoples switches or disciples he wasn't wrong. No he wasn't divine he was using the bible or god as his metaphor for the mass'. Plus those that don't get it have a different reason to be nice. We just need some creative minds to find that elusive mass metaphor. If you do get it then god is unnecessary. For a decent society all you really need is a lot of happy people

Edited by dimreepr

I now have inner peace.

I’m sorry guys I haven’t given you a chance. I almost forgot the most important one oops.

5 What do I actually need? I have Drink and drugs to thank for flipping this switch.

Fundamentally what do I actually need to live at any given moment and the answer is almost certainly nothing. Well you say we need food, water and shelter to live. Only if that moment was the threshold of a starving man dying he needs food. Are you starving at this moment? the same for a thirsty man. Are you really that thirsty? Or if your captain Oates you would be glad of a nice fire, a tent and some food in the cupboard. Most of us can claim none of these. If you’re in a bad moment and can’t change it? Then your actual need is to simply wait for the next moment come alone that will hopefully change your moment to a good one. If you’re in a good moment then why change anything?

Maslow's hierarchy: Interesting stuff. I've got the top two layers; the bottom three, well only about 50%.

Is that a good or a bad thing?

i think you are supposed to work from the bottom, so the top two, in your case, could be interpreted, although currently fulfilled, as not on solid foundations and may be transitory and subject to the vagaries of your life as represented by the stuff further down the hierarchy or pyramid. I'm happy to be shot down on this though if I'm wrong! :D

IIRC this model was used for my CBT when I was coming off drugs ten years ago. You have to fulfill the basic physical needs (lower hierarchical elements) before you can tackle the mental/emotional ones.

Edited by StringJunky

i think you are supposed to work from the bottom, so the top two, in your case, could be interpreted, although currently fulfilled, as not on solid foundations and may be transitory and subject to the vagaries of your life as represented by the stuff further down the hierarchy or pyramid. I'm happy to be shot down on this though if I'm wrong! :D

IIRC this model was used for my CBT when I was coming off drugs ten years ago. You have to fulfill the basic physical needs (lower hierarchical elements) before you can tackle the mental/emotional ones.

No your not wrong, if you think of it in the same way as a pyramid of knowledge you need to read the books at the base in order to understand the books at the top.

No your not wrong, if you think of it in the same way as a pyramid of knowledge you need to read the books at the base in order to understand the books at the top.

Absolutely...or to put it another way: you can't ponder the meaning of life on an empty stomach. ;)

On the subject of inner peace; my avatar is a photo I took of an installation that was erected in my home town at the same time I was rehabilitating and I called it "Freedom" because that was what it represented to me at the time. Copies ended up in the Social Services and the local drug rehab waiting rooms with the title "Freedom is peace of mind"....this is what I learnt coming off drugs.

Edited by StringJunky

You can flip the switch the other way too.

If you understand something you can't suddenly choose to not have understanding. You do need to remind yourself that you do understand but thats not because you've gone from the understanding state to an ignorant one.

i think you are supposed to work from the bottom, so the top two, in your case, could be interpreted, although currently fulfilled, as not on solid foundations and may be transitory and subject to the vagaries of your life as represented by the stuff further down the hierarchy or pyramid

Good interpretation I thought. The things I have are quite transitory, they could (and have) disappeared from time to time.

Good interpretation I thought. The things I have are quite transitory, they could (and have) disappeared from time to time.

Could the disappearance of the upper hierarchical aspects of your life be attributed or correlated to negative changes in the more basic requirements lower down? Note: cause and effect won't happen immediately...there will likely be a delay. It would probably take weeks or months of adverse alteration in your basic needs to affect your overall long-term attitude and relative sense of contentment.

The Maslow Hierarchy, on reflection, is one of the few things that made sense to me in my short-lived attendance of a psychology foundation course and is actively used by my region's social services drug action team.

Edited by StringJunky