How would you make a hydrogen/oxygen tank?

njaohnt

How do they make hydrogen tanks(I also need a oxygen tank, but I assume that it works the same way). If you blow hydrogen into a tank, how would you get the air out? With a gas tank, you're working with a liquid, and a gas, but for gaseous hydrogen, how would you push out the air, and put in hydrogen, without pushing out hydrogen in the tank?

Also, how much volume would you need to fit 1 000 000 000 000 H2 or O2.

Edited by njaohnt

What you ask is so fundamental that I fear you know too little about science to play with hydrogen and oxygen safely. Therefore (and I'm not kidding because you sound inexperienced enough to blow yourself up) ...

WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT THE FOLLOWING WITHOUT PROFESSIONAL SUPERVISION.

Invert the tank.

Edited by ewmon

It somewhat depends upon how pure you need your gases.

At the office, we have some high pressure O2 systems. For our purposes we simply....

1) Fill tank to 3000 psi with O2. Right there you're at (roughly) 200 atmospheres which means that you've got (again, roughly) 99.5% pure oxygen in the system.

2) Bleed tank to about 1 psi over atmospheric pressure.

3) Fill tank to 3000 psi with O2. Congratulations, you now have 99.998% pure O2.

4) Bleed tank to about 1 psi over atmospheric pressure.

5) Fill tank to 3000 psi with O2. Woot! 99.999998% pure O2.

For our purposes (combustion research), we consider that pure O2. True, there are probably some processes that require higher purity, but I doubt the OP requires such.

Note: We don't like pulling a vacuum on the system. If we find we have a leak, that vacuum means that we may have pulled dirt into an O2 system. That's bad and it brings with it the potential requirement to clean our entire system (a rather lengthy and expensive process). So we keep our system under positive pressure at all times so that if we DO have a leak, at least we aren't introducing dirt via our purging process.

Edited by InigoMontoya

Note: We don't like pulling a vacuum on the system. If we find we have a leak, that vacuum means that we may have pulled dirt into an O2 system. That's bad and it brings with it the potential requirement to clean our entire system (a rather lengthy and expensive process). So we keep our system under positive pressure at all times so that if we DO have a leak, at least we aren't introducing dirt via our purging process.

That is a fair point, it all depends on what your end goals are.

The places i've seen it done with vacuum haven't been for anything strictly controlled and vacuum lines were prevalent around the building so it was just as easy to have a valve to switch between vacuum line and fill line.

The places i've seen it done with vacuum haven't been for anything strictly controlled and vacuum lines were prevalent around the building so it was just as easy to have a valve to switch between vacuum line and fill line.

At what pressures were they running O2? Such a cavalier attitude about O2 systems is.... disturbing. But then, I'm used to high pressure systems so that likely colors my vision.

At what pressures were they running O2? Such a cavalier attitude about O2 systems is.... disturbing. But then, I'm used to high pressure systems so that likely colors my vision.

oh it wasn't O2, it was mostly N2 and other inerts. Thats why i said you had a good point about the desired end use.

I just thought it was note worthy that there is current research into using the Hydrogen sorption properties of Titanium Sponge as an alternative form of storage. I'm not exactly sure where this fits into the grand scheme because the material I have read was all online, and the availability of this content and the readiness for Google to bring it up seems to have fluctuated. This was information that came up while I had previously been researching current trends in Hydrogen Fuel Cell deployment.

Okay thanks, + for everyone!

Though none of you answered the second question. I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Also, how much volume would you need to fit 1 000 000 000 000 H2 or O2.

That's because you failed to give a unit of measure.... 1 000 000 000 000 what? PSI, cubic feet, what?

• 5 years later...

You'll want something designed for mountaineering.

This link talks about several and potential issues:

https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2013/08/19/oxygen-on-everest-reviewing-the-options/amp/#ampshare=http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2013/08/19/oxygen-on-everest-reviewing-the-options/

Various types out there. Some are small recreational tanks others are bulky shoulder tanks. Really depends on the type of trek.