813 replies to this topic

#21 zorro

zorro

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 180 posts
  • LocationIncline Village region, NV, Lake Tahoe

Posted 7 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have...." Thomas Jefferson

#22 Xittenn

Xittenn

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationDelta, BC; Canada

Posted 7 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

"He is their god! He leads them like a thing made by some other deity than Nature that shapes man better. And they follow him against us brats with no less confidence than boys pursuing summer butterflies, or butchers killing flies." - Cominius; Shakespears Coriolanus

#23 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationNear Leicester, UK

Posted 7 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

I think some of you very serious career minded people might like to wind down a bit!
If you don't know already you will learn what Jimmy Buffett would do!

http://www.metacafe....ial_music_vide/

Edited by Joatmon, 7 March 2012 - 04:31 PM.

Trying to make some sense of it all,

But I can see that it makes no sense at all

#24 zapatos

zapatos

Lepton

• Senior Members
  • 2,548 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 7 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

Okay, listen and watch.

Edited by zapatos, 7 March 2012 - 05:16 PM.

And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. -MP

"As a good christian, I'm always going to disagree with any proof you try to give me." -Peter BE cimp

#25 imatfaal

imatfaal

lazy do-nothing mudslinger

• Moderators
  • 7,315 posts
  • LocationSt James's Park

Posted 7 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

I think some of you very serious career minded people might like to wind down a bit!
If you don't know already you will learn what Jimmy Buffett would do!

http://www.metacafe....ial_music_vide/

Am I allowed to mention that I have no idea who JImmy Buffett is? (Well I do now, cos I just wikispied him)

A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again.

- Alexander Pope

feel free to click the green arrow  ---->

#26 Xittenn

Xittenn

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 7 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

(Well I do now, cos I just wikispied him)

I'll have to remember that one . . . . .
"He is their god! He leads them like a thing made by some other deity than Nature that shapes man better. And they follow him against us brats with no less confidence than boys pursuing summer butterflies, or butchers killing flies." - Cominius; Shakespears Coriolanus

#27 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 7 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

Am I allowed to mention that I have no idea who JImmy Buffett is? (Well I do now, cos I just wikispied him)

No law against it - lol. Actually he isn't the main performer of the song - but the line "What would Jimmy Buffett do" is as well known as the song itself by Alan Jackson. If you google "What will Jimmy Buffett do" (including inverted commas) you will be taken there. You quite possibly have no idea who Alan Jackson is. Actually it's the only Country and Western song I like - because it reminds me of friday lunchtimes when I was working!

This is one of my favourite love songs:- http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZaSKICzeTaE

Please anybody - how do I get Youtube videos on the post? I only know how to set links.Posted Image

Edited by Joatmon, 7 March 2012 - 08:08 PM.

#28 Xittenn

Xittenn

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 7 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

Please anybody - how do I get Youtube videos on the post? I only know how to set links.

Just cut and paste the URL without using the editor tools . . . .

#29 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 8 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

jre

jre

Could do with some more advice! Is the URL what appears in the address bar (e.g. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZaSKICzeTaE )? If not, where do I find it?
Do I use the "fast reply" or the "Add reply button"?
If I have pressed the "edit" button, will I have to wait until someone else posts so that what I am trying to do doesn't merge with what I have done before?
Anything else I should know?
Thanks Xittenn for trying to help a confused "old chap", your help is appreciated.

Edited by Joatmon, 8 March 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#30 zapatos

zapatos

Lepton

• Senior Members
  • 2,548 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 8 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

jre

Could do with some more advice! Is the URL what appears in the address bar (e.g. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZaSKICzeTaE )? If not, where do I find it?
Do I use the "fast reply" or the "Add reply button"?
If I have pressed the "edit" button, will I have to wait until someone else posts so that what I am trying to do doesn't merge with what I have done before?
Anything else I should know?
Thanks Xittenn for trying to help a confused "old chap", your help is appreciated.

Yes, the URL is what appears in the address bar.
I click on the 'reply' button within someone's post to have their post appear within my post. (like I did here)
I click on the 'Add Reply' to make a post with only my comments in it. (like I did in my previous post above)
If you want to reply to multiple posts within a thread, click on 'MultiQuote' in each post you want to respond to, then click on 'Add Reply'.
If you press 'edit', the change will always apply to that post you are editing. The 'edit' option on your post stays there for a limited time.
If you do separate replies multiple times in a row, they are automatically merged into one post, unless someone else replies while you are replying. Essentially the system keeps all of the replies in the order they were entered.

Also, ydoaPs has a good thread Pinned under "The Lounge" which gives some more information.

Edited by zapatos, 8 March 2012 - 04:44 PM.

And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. -MP

"As a good christian, I'm always going to disagree with any proof you try to give me." -Peter BE cimp

#31 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 8 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZaSKICzeTaE

Following all the advice given, but I still can't get a youtube video entered except as just the URL (as above).
Help!

Edited by Joatmon, 8 March 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#32 zapatos

zapatos

Lepton

• Senior Members
  • 2,548 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 8 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

For the above:
I did an 'Add Reply'.
I am using Internet Explorer 7.
I opened YouTube in another window by clicking on your link.
Double clicked on the URL to highlight it.
Right clicked to bring up menu and chose copy.
Came to this window, right clicked and did a paste.

For the below:
I highlighted the link from your post, copied it, and pasted it here.
They appear to be the same link although your link has the shortened version (with the '...'). Maybe it is related to that.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZaSKICzeTaE

EDIT: Yep, that is the problem although I don't know why your URL is one way and mine is another.
I went back in and changed your URL from 'c...h' to the actual characters which were 'com/watch' and it worked fine.

Edited by zapatos, 8 March 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#33 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 8 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BPCjC543llU

Edited by Joatmon, 8 March 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#34 Xittenn

Xittenn

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 8 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

Posted Image

If you use preview post from full editor you can play around for a while and see how things work!

#35 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 8 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Posted Image

If you use preview post from full editor you can play around for a while and see how things work!

Had it working a moment ago. Used edit to add some words of thanks and then Bang!
Now I can add a new reply I may be ok - I'll give it a try

Posted Image

Thanks for advice. I don't know why, but my "copy" omits some of the URL. Brownie point awarded!

Edited by Joatmon, 8 March 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#36 Xittenn

Xittenn

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 8 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

By George my dear I think you've got it! Next we shall work on your taste in music . . . . j/k :D

#37 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 8 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

By George my dear I think you've got it! Next we shall work on your taste in music . . . . j/k :D

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nmGfV7r8lzM

And I was going to complement you on yours as you seem to like some 1960's music - but what's this Dubstep for goodness sake!

#38 zapatos

zapatos

Lepton

• Senior Members
  • 2,548 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 8 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Har! You are too funny. :D

But your taste isn't too weak. I gave you the +1 for Alizee!

Joatmon -- What in the heck do you keep doing to the URLs????? Probably that nasty Google stuff. :D

Edited by zapatos, 8 March 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#39 Joatmon

Joatmon

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 8 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Joatmon -- What in the heck do you keep doing to the URLs????? Probably that nasty Google stuff. :D

I just don't know why "copy" gives shortened URL's. I have no idea if it is a limitation of Chrome. Anyway thanks again for your help.
Anyone out there know why my URLs have bits missing?

Edited by Joatmon, 8 March 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#40 Xittenn

Xittenn

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 8 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

And I was going to complement you on yours as you seem to like some 1960's music - but what's this Dubstep for goodness sake!

Dubstep is an eclectic form of Drum and Bass that emerged from the UK in the last decade as a need to incorporate the freshness of Break Beat to offset the Rastafarian undertones of the Jungle style in hopes of creating a more global musical genre. The music avoids archaic style and heavily introduces tuplets as a serious artistic form creating a parallel between the less contrived energies of daily life with the less contrived energies of deep thought. The mood can often be described as the anticipation of a clarifying moment that is simply never achieved. This is further compounded by the medium with which most listeners are subject to the content where the content is continuously streamed without a break in the constant out pouring of the emotional torrent which is dubstep. It is great music to listen to when working on mathematics. In the clubs I prefer Break Beat as it tends to be somewhat more civilized and is less inciting towards everyone taking their clothes off--although this wouldn't bother me much at all, most club goers are not so open minded as myself.

Edited by Xittenn, 8 March 2012 - 08:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users