What are you listening to right now?

heathenwilliamduke

Am I allowed to mention that I have no idea who JImmy Buffett is? (Well I do now, cos I just wikispied him)

No law against it - lol. Actually he isn't the main performer of the song - but the line "What would Jimmy Buffett do" is as well known as the song itself by Alan Jackson. If you google "What will Jimmy Buffett do" (including inverted commas) you will be taken there. You quite possibly have no idea who Alan Jackson is. Actually it's the only Country and Western song I like - because it reminds me of friday lunchtimes when I was working!

This is one of my favourite love songs:- http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZaSKICzeTaE

Please anybody - how do I get Youtube videos on the post? I only know how to set links.sad.gif

Edited by Joatmon

jre

jre

Could do with some more advice! Is the URL what appears in the address bar (e.g. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZaSKICzeTaE )? If not, where do I find it?

Do I use the "fast reply" or the "Add reply button"?

If I have pressed the "edit" button, will I have to wait until someone else posts so that what I am trying to do doesn't merge with what I have done before?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks Xittenn for trying to help a confused "old chap", your help is appreciated.

Edited by Joatmon

jre

Could do with some more advice! Is the URL what appears in the address bar (e.g. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZaSKICzeTaE )? If not, where do I find it?

Do I use the "fast reply" or the "Add reply button"?

If I have pressed the "edit" button, will I have to wait until someone else posts so that what I am trying to do doesn't merge with what I have done before?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks Xittenn for trying to help a confused "old chap", your help is appreciated.

Yes, the URL is what appears in the address bar.

I click on the 'reply' button within someone's post to have their post appear within my post. (like I did here)

I click on the 'Add Reply' to make a post with only my comments in it. (like I did in my previous post above)

If you want to reply to multiple posts within a thread, click on 'MultiQuote' in each post you want to respond to, then click on 'Add Reply'.

If you press 'edit', the change will always apply to that post you are editing. The 'edit' option on your post stays there for a limited time.

If you do separate replies multiple times in a row, they are automatically merged into one post, unless someone else replies while you are replying. Essentially the system keeps all of the replies in the order they were entered.

Also, ydoaPs has a good thread Pinned under "The Lounge" which gives some more information.

Edited by zapatos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaSKICzeTaE

For the above:

I did an 'Add Reply'.

I am using Internet Explorer 7.

I opened YouTube in another window by clicking on your link.

Double clicked on the URL to highlight it.

Right clicked to bring up menu and chose copy.

Came to this window, right clicked and did a paste.

For the below:

I highlighted the link from your post, copied it, and pasted it here.

They appear to be the same link although your link has the shortened version (with the '...'). Maybe it is related to that.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZaSKICzeTaE

EDIT: Yep, that is the problem although I don't know why your URL is one way and mine is another.

I went back in and changed your URL from 'c...h' to the actual characters which were 'com/watch' and it worked fine.

Edited by zapatos

3d-animated-emoticons-smileys10.gif

If you use preview post from full editor you can play around for a while and see how things work!

Had it working a moment ago. Used edit to add some words of thanks and then Bang!

Now I can add a new reply I may be ok - I'll give it a try

3d-animated-emoticons-smileys10.gif

If you use preview post from full editor you can play around for a while and see how things work!

Thanks for advice. I don't know why, but my "copy" omits some of the URL. Brownie point awarded!

Edited by Joatmon

By George my dear I think you've got it! Next we shall work on your taste in music . . . . j/k :D

And I was going to complement you on yours as you seem to like some 1960's music - but what's this Dubstep for goodness sake!

By George my dear I think you've got it! Next we shall work on your taste in music . . . . j/k :D

Har! You are too funny. :D

But your taste isn't too weak. I gave you the +1 for Alizee!

Joatmon -- What in the heck do you keep doing to the URLs????? Probably that nasty Google stuff. :D

Edited by zapatos

Joatmon -- What in the heck do you keep doing to the URLs????? Probably that nasty Google stuff. :D

I just don't know why "copy" gives shortened URL's. I have no idea if it is a limitation of Chrome. Anyway thanks again for your help.

Anyone out there know why my URLs have bits missing?

Edited by Joatmon

And I was going to complement you on yours as you seem to like some 1960's music - but what's this Dubstep for goodness sake!

Dubstep is an eclectic form of Drum and Bass that emerged from the UK in the last decade as a need to incorporate the freshness of Break Beat to offset the Rastafarian undertones of the Jungle style in hopes of creating a more global musical genre. The music avoids archaic style and heavily introduces tuplets as a serious artistic form creating a parallel between the less contrived energies of daily life with the less contrived energies of deep thought. The mood can often be described as the anticipation of a clarifying moment that is simply never achieved. This is further compounded by the medium with which most listeners are subject to the content where the content is continuously streamed without a break in the constant out pouring of the emotional torrent which is dubstep. It is great music to listen to when working on mathematics. In the clubs I prefer Break Beat as it tends to be somewhat more civilized and is less inciting towards everyone taking their clothes off--although this wouldn't bother me much at all, most club goers are not so open minded as myself.

Edited by Xittenn

In the clubs I prefer Break Beat as it tends to be somewhat more civilized and is less inciting towards everyone taking their clothes off--although this wouldn't bother me much at all, most club goers are not so open minded as myself.

I did read up a bit about dubstep - but it's not really to my taste. I guess musically I'm a dinosaur stuck in the'50's and'60's.

Now you are making me feel old. I could embarrass my grandchildren just by going into a club or disco with them. As for taking my clothes off - better not go there!ohmy.gif

Edited by Joatmon

I did read up a bit about dubstep - but it's not really to my taste. I guess musically I'm a dinosaur stuck in the'50's and'60's.

Now you are making me feel old. I could embarrass my grandchildren just by going into a club or disco with them. As for taking my clothes off - better not go there!ohmy.gif

Dubstep mixes a lot of music over the last century. DJs often incorporate early Jazz as well as Rhythm and Blues.

I don't think most people would enjoy most things that I listen too. I think the underlying cues are often too subtle for most to appreciate. The NIN that I posted earlier is an example where even the most avid NIN fans aren't really aware of this album because it wasn't well understood. I don't know where my taste comes from but I think it relates to my excessive and distorted emotional state. I find it very hard to identify with most people and this suggests to me that what is going on inside of me is not entirely the same as everyone else. I guess I'm saying that maybe I have an underlying chemical imbalance or something that affects my perception and so I listen to weird things. For the books I do not do drugs nor condone them!

Dubstep mixes a lot of music over the last century. DJs often incorporate early Jazz as well as Rhythm and Blues.

I don't think most people would enjoy most things that I listen too. I think the underlying cues are often too subtle for most to appreciate. The NIN that I posted earlier is an example where even the most avid NIN fans aren't really aware of this album because it wasn't well understood. I don't know where my taste comes from but I think it relates to my excessive and distorted emotional state. I find it very hard to identify with most people and this suggests to me that what is going on inside of me is not entirely the same as everyone else. I guess I'm saying that maybe I have an underlying chemical imbalance or something that affects my perception and so I listen to weird things. For the books I do not do drugs nor condone them!

Perhaps my age will allow me to say this in a Grandfatherly way without it being misunderstood:- Although I obviously don't know you, I sense that any man who can forge a link with you on an emotional level will be very fortunate.

Perhaps my age will allow me to say this in a Grandfatherly way without it being misunderstood:- Although I obviously don't know you, I sense that any man who can forge a link with you on an emotional level will be very fortunate.

I wouldn't say that too loud if I were you, you very obviously do not know me that well--this is however, not really a topic for forum discussion . . . . .

Sorry - still having trouble getting videos to play! Will try something else!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jZeXvpyZQ

Edited by Joatmon

Have you tried using the share button on the youtube page Jo? Click it and copy and paste the short URL without changing it . . . . you can also test your posts by using the full editor here and clicking preview post.

Hmmm shared link didn't work . . .

So yeah stop using the shared URL Jo!

Edited by Xittenn

Have you tried using the share button on the youtube page Jo? Click it and copy and paste the short URL without changing it . . . . you can also test your posts by using the full editor here and clicking preview post.

Hmmm shared link didn't work . . .

So yeah stop using the shared URL Jo!

I'm going to give it a rest before I start pulling my hair out. Lucky to have hair to pull out at my age - lol! I bet I'm doing something simple incorrectly.

This is all I'm doing:-

Get my video so it plays in another window.

Copy the URL.

Come back to Scienceforums.

Press "Reply", or "Fast reply"

Paste the URL (which comes out full length)

Press "Add reply".

Go to "View new content" and select my post.

When I see my post I have the shorter URL and no automatic load.

Can you spot my mistake??

It seems that Scienceforums itself is shortening my URL!

If I press"Edit" and fill in the missing parts of the URL that doesn't help.

Edited by Joatmon