Diamond sword that can cut through anything?

Hypercube

Damascus Steel which is made from wootz steel is the best for swords. Created in India these swords are legendary. Some swords are said to be able to cut through a rifle barrel. Resent science has found that carbon nano tubes is what gives these swords their characteristics. The only problem is that the technique used for making these swords is lost, though with modern technology an advanced steels, we can manufacture even better swords. I've been researching ideas behind compressed carbon tubing which is said to be harder and sharper than diamonds. Applying this with other polymers/steels through heat and compression, I believe this would yield the ultimate swords. Although, there would be the need of trail by error to get the formula just right. This would also be very expensive, but such a sword, if possible, would be priceless.

For making such a sword won't we need a material which would be inert (like helium but not helium) whose atoms don't react with the material , which we are cutting . I mean if not react then coulombic attractions would still be their which can effect or destroy the edge in single use or in between its first use . then there will no use of such sword which can only create a cut

• 3 years later...
On 12/2/2011 at 10:48 PM, Hypercube said:

Exactly. The thing that most interested me about this sword (which incidentally was named Albitr, or 'Tinkledeath') was that it was implied that it did not need any sort of magical protection (yes, I do know that magic is fiction, but for the purposes of this post it basically means that there is little chance of it being damaged) because the blade was literally so sharp that it would almost never encounter any substantial resistance. Its wielder was able to literally slice through several feet of solid stone as if it were no harder than butter.

Now I know how absurd this sounds, but I still can't help but wonder whether there is ANY kind of truth to this idea even in principle, whether it is made of diamond or not is immaterial, as it is never actually confirmed to be made of diamond in the book.

If you are talking about the book Inheritance Eragon's sword is made from a rare meter rock that is used in all rider's swords and and I think its true name is Brisingr