Making a Stun Gun

I was thinking that it would be really cool to build a low(er than normal voltage) stun gun.

The aim of doing so would be to produce an electrical shock which isnt serioulsly painful or more to the point harmful!

Obviously, primarily i would need to reduce the current, however to help to do this I will need to decrease the voltage. This is easy as I can just use a smaller transformer.

Here is a diagram:

image dont work yet... go here (stun gun 2)

nice and simple 9V battery -> 555 ICC -> transformer -> electrodes

a few questions:

1) what transformer should i use? (asked because i dont really know what voltage i want... and be serious, i wanna be able to use this on friends and stuff as a joke... not for serious stuff!)

basically, what voltage output do i want?

2) surely R4 is not needed?

3) surely i can get rid of C1 and C2 -- all of the capacitors

4) can the output or electrodes could just be bare wires?

disclaimer:

this includes high voltages which can be dangerous and possibly leathal.

T1`s fine if that`s what you want it for as you outlined in your thread (non lethal and for fun etc...)

R4 needn`t be variable, it`s only acting as a current limitation, like the use of 10 meg resistors in air Ionisers at about 6Kv :)

get rid of C1,2 and how does the 555 oscillate? learn the trip 5 dynamics before posting such things, it will NOT WORK without them, RC is for timing (freq) also the "Mark-Space" ratio must be set 50/50 squarewave is typical.

and yes the output can be anything you like, bare wires are fine, just don`t let the short internaly else you`ll get nothing out.

a simple audio tranformer will give you a couple hundred volts at mili amps at best TIP31`s aren`t rated for much else on a reverse polarised transformer.

hope that helps a little :)

ooops about the C's... i really should remember how the 555 ICC works! (i remember now!)

ill keep R4 as a ~1M resistor

i think i will add a simple on/off locking push switch, just so that i dont accidentally electrocute myself!!!!

also, i dont normally build or buy transformers.... when it says "200K to 1K CT input" what does it mean? well presumably 200K is 200,000 and 1K is 1,000 and CT is center tapped, but why input? dont i have a 9V input, osciallted by the 555 and the transformer ups the voltage. what am i missing, what do i want a 9V input and a xV output??

also arent a few hundreds volts possibly a bit dangerous? (i know the danger is to do with current, but surely a few hundred Vs using the V=IR formla, can produce quite a high voltage, unless you are taking into account the great resistance of the human body...?

also' date=' i dont normally build or buy transformers.... when it says "200K to 1K CT input" what does it mean? well presumably 200K is 200,000 and 1K is 1,000 but what is CT and why input? dont i have a 9V input, osciallted by the 555 and the transformer ups the voltage. what am i missing, what do i want a 9V input and a xV output??

also arent a few hundreds volts possibly a bit dangerous? (i know the danger is to do with current, but surely a few hundred Vs using the V=IR formla, can produce quite a high voltage, unless you are taking into account the great resistance of the human body...?[/quote']

you presume wrongly, it`s refering to coil resistance in OHMs or in this case KiloOhms otherwise known as "k"

it`s in a "step up" config with a 1:200 ratio although it`ll not QUITE work out that well for reasons to complex to go into here, but 1:200 will do for now :)

through a 1m or (1000K) resistor the current even if it were a Thousand volts wouldn`t kill you :)

make ya jump a bit sure, but not kill (unless hardwired into your brain!).

that should answer Both parts nicely for you :)

"config with a 1:200 ratio"

so i should get ~~1800V ouput (without the resistor that is)

so maybe ill try a very big R4 at first and then lower until i feel sufficient pain!!!

"you presume wrongly, it`s refering to coil resistance in OHMs or in this case KiloOhms otherwise known as "k" it`s in a "step up" config with a 1:200 ratio"

so when it says: "200K to 1K CT input" it means a 200,000ohm to 1,000ohm center tapped transformer. thats quite a lot of resistance (or 200K is anyway!)

im guessing that the resistance is related to the steping ratio (coz of how you got your ratio), but im still a bit confused with the transformer... if its 200K to 1K then surely that variable is in the choice of the buy (and not within a set transformer)... but if thats right then how can you work out the ~1:200 ratio?

you can tell ive never really learnt in depth about transformers before though have used em, just used pre-chosen ones! and most of what i just said is probably wrong (about the transformer) so please teach me! :)

basically tell me about the transformer i want!

thanks for the help :D

you`de still get the same voltage WITH that resistor, just not the Current (Amperage).

200K isn`t a great resistance in this CCT at all :)

an audio step-up type is usualy used as an impedance input buffer, seldom to never used as outputs, and rarely center tapped.

it`s an input jobby :)

Mic to Pre-Amp type :)

"you`de still get the same voltage WITH that resistor, just not the Current (Amperage)."

yeah i know that!

"200K isn`t a great resistance in this CCT at all"

isnt great as in isnt great as in not great amounts (as in not much) or as in isnt good to have at that much (so its too high)????

"Mic to Pre-Amp type"

is that what i need of what this is? - this is an audio transformer, so im guessing that that is what i have???

and type of transformer do i want? (that one?)

-- you can tell im not too good with transformers!! --

if i went to an electronic shop, assuming the sales assistant knew what he was talking about... what would i ask for to get this tranformer???

(because the diagram doesnt include input/output voltages or anything, so im not sure)

well if you "KNOW THAT" why ask about the voltage????

"isn`t great" as it`s the correct amount and 200k isn`t a huge resistance for this CCT.

and for the last part I could tell you something that would do the job and it wouldn`t be in slightest bit helpfull to you!

you need an Input Trans that meet the specs outlined in the CCT Diag.

failing that, use 12v,a trip 5 a 2n3055 and an OBIT output :))))))))

couldnt i just use a big capacitor with resistor?

(for example a 200V 470uF cap with a nice big resistor coz thats what ive got behind me!)

also, using the equation V=IR when you add a resistor to lower the current the voltage must decrease too, so if you start with a ~1800V (right after the transfomer) then surely it must be a much lower output?

"it`s in a "step up" config with a 1:200 ratio" -- YT2095

i still cant see how you got the voltage stepping ratio from the resistance level!

also when it says "200K to 1K" is that a variable within which i must chose what i want? or is that a fixed type of transformer?

you could, but you`de still have to charge it.

no, it limits the current, it`ll only work that way when the outputs are againsts a fixed resistance, other than that, open circuit the voltage will remain the same.

the wire resistance is an indicator of the winding ratios, and it`s that which gives the step up/down ratio.

• 2 weeks later...

I havent read this thread yet, but later on I'll tell you how to make a very easy to build sunner, I made mine when I was 13 (or 14).

I found it out messing about and shocked my self.

Great fun.

I'll read this thread in a moment as I'm at work at the mo. lol.

This brings back memories and I'm only 20, (21 in weeks how the time flies)

now I'v got the time,

the way I made my stunner was to get some of thoese green plastic (the ones in resin) caps, around 150V I think, them in parra (hehe I know i know). This is for storing the charge.

To make the charge, find an old microwave oven and get the motor off the bottom, the one than moves you food around.

but that with the caps plus a diode to stop them de-charging through the motor/generator.

get something to turn the motor, and bame you have a sunner which only needs a few tunes, 5 turns did well for me.

Good luck.

now I'v got the time' date='

the way I made my stunner was to get some of thoese green plastic (the ones in resin) caps, around 150V I think, them in parra (hehe I know i know). This is for storing the charge.

To make the charge, find an old microwave oven and get the motor off the bottom, the one than moves you food around.

but that with the caps plus a diode to stop them de-charging through the motor/generator.

get something to turn the motor, and bame you have a sunner which only needs a few tunes, 5 turns did well for me.

Good luck.[/quote']

please ellucidate, as the above sounds even less that Sci-Fi and more like BS!

a clearer description would be cool, I`m fully qualified as an electronics engineer (electrical, digital, radio and teaching skills).

so I`ll probably understand even if it`s not 100% clear, but that was less than a percent! :)))

lol. well if you think it's BS then that's your loss.

Its pretty basic, the caps charge from the motor which turns at 5.5 rpm with a supply of 240V, now I know I've had a good 3k out of this little thing.

you are just turing the motor into a geared generator which gives out a high voltage, you can even make fluro tubes light up, but I must be talking BS.

I Think you think that it makes an arc? It doesnt but it will give you a big shock.

I'll find it out and show you the pics etc, I made a new one a few years back, come to think about it I'll make a new one.

Edit:

Take one motor, put one diode in series to stop the caps dischargin via the motor. have th caps in parralle. thats it done.

dia.

m = motor

d = diode

c = caps x how ever many

l is just a bend, lol.

(M)---------(D)-------©--------

L___________________I_________ <---- person

wow, if you turn them they make power.

never turned a motor into a generator?

The motor from the bottom of the MW which turns the table is a geared motor and I know for a fact it works, I'll find my old one and send it to you if you really dont trust my word.

I found out this worked by shocking my self, then built it from there.

The power comes from you turning the motor.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...

T1`s fine if that`s what you want it for as you outlined in your thread (non lethal and for fun etc...)

R4 needn`t be variable, it`s only acting as a current limitation, like the use of 10 meg resistors in air Ionisers at about 6Kv smile.png

get rid of C1,2 and how does the 555 oscillate? learn the trip 5 dynamics before posting such things, it will NOT WORK without them, RC is for timing (freq) also the "Mark-Space" ratio must be set 50/50 squarewave is typical.

and yes the output can be anything you like, bare wires are fine, just don`t let the short internaly else you`ll get nothing out.

a simple audio tranformer will give you a couple hundred volts at mili amps at best TIP31`s aren`t rated for much else on a reverse polarised transformer.

hope that helps a little smile.png

sir can u pls explain the full working of the stun gun circuit? link- http://www.electro-tech-online.com/images/projects/stun_gun.gif