Staring at naked women makes you smarter: Study

mooeypoo

I stand corrected. They did list the method they used to determine sexuality. Unfortunately, they did not choose a balance between sexuality. They could've obtained any mix of sexuality and therefore their statement regarding the participants sexual orientation affecting levels of N170 is inconclusive:

However, the statement suggests that the levels of N170 were different for those who are heterosexual vs. those who are homosexual and varying degrees thereof. A larger study would be needed which ensured the sexuality of each group of participants to validate the claim.

Well, they seem to not control for the sexual preferences variable, which would make it hard to make any sort of conclusion on it. Can we conclude that the difference is due to the sexual preference, or just coincidental correlation? It's never good to add a correlation after-the-fact.

Well, they seem to not control for the sexual preferences variable, which would make it hard to make any sort of conclusion on it. Can we conclude that the difference is due to the sexual preference, or just coincidental correlation? It's never good to add a correlation after-the-fact.

I believe it was a coincidental correlation that they observed in the data after-the-fact:

In future studies it will be interesting to investigate the effect of stimulus sex on N170 response to nude bodies in homosexually oriented male and female participants. If the results confirmed that the discrimination between responses to female vs. male bodies is different in heterosexually and homosexually oriented participants, the results would strengthen the view that the visual system enhances the early processing of information relevant to one's sexual behavior.

The above statement suggests that they at least plan to investigate the correlation in future studies.

Edited by Daedalus

Thanks for your great interpretation mooeypoo but I came away with a different impression concerning this study, concluding that concentration on the nude form variations of the opposite sex slowly but steadily improves one's I.Q. I believe this to be true based upon personal experiences and a lifetime of continuing "related studies" :P in the field of prurient psychological "bendings." As evidence to support my hypothesis I would like to perform a double blindfolded study involving only female participants, paying for volunteers and personal testaments concerning improved mental acuity.

//

Despite the bombastically pop-sci marketing-oriented article title, there's not much there about IQ, just how fast the brain recognizes the image. That might be a factor in IQ, but is far from being IQ in itself.

However, I do support this notion enough to conduct a lot of experimentation on it with female volunteers, though I would prefer not being blindfolded.

;)

The above statement suggests that they at least plan to investigate the correlation in future studies.

I volunteer.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you mean only to be triple blinded to protect yourself from the other two.

It's okay, I'll cover for his blindedness, you can count on me.

Despite the bombastically pop-sci marketing-oriented article title, there's not much there about IQ, just how fast the brain recognizes the image. That might be a factor in IQ, but is far from being IQ in itself.

However, I do support this notion enough to conduct a lot of experimentation on it with female volunteers, though I would prefer not being blindfolded.

;)

I volunteer.

It's okay, I'll cover for his blindedness, you can count on me.

You seem to have the right stuff mooeypoo. I will talk to Daudalus about the study format and see if we can squeeze you in without the normal requisite interviews :) then you could decide based upon the described format details, stipend, and travel expenses, concerning whether this study would be right for you :)

I expect such a study would take several days to conduct. Maybe you might prefer to be one of the experimenters rather than a participant? or might even wish to be involved in the DOE (design of Experiment). In any event there will be a stipend plus expenses provided all are in agreement with the details.

//

Edited by pantheory

Hmm.... Pantheory it looks like we might be able to also count on hypervalent iodine to participate as well. She is definitely well qualified to either participate or help conduct / design the experiments :eyebrow: .

Since you will be co-author of this upcoming in-depth "psychological" study, I will certainly agree to reasonable suggestions such as yours, since you said she :) is qualified and because of her seemingly positive and enthusiastic attitude similar to our own and moo's.

//

Edited by pantheory

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.