Sympathetic Nervous System

Ok so after setting up a question, and you can find that in "Strange Self-Induced Feeling" on my profile, I was answered that a strange, unexplainable feeling I can create is actually me somehow activating/aggravating/consciously stimulating my parasympathetic nervous system. I would just like to know if that is the case and if so, why am I able to do that? What are the pros/cons (if any) of doing so and if there are any applications to this "skill"? Is it something uncommon or can everyone do it but I was lucky enough to have found a way to do so by some means? Out of all the people I know, only one other friend of mine can do it and understand what I mean, but he is oblivious to its uses/effects as well. And lastly, can it be anything other than the PNS? All forms of help would greatly appreciated! thanks!

Ps.: My explanation of the feeling can be found on my other post, indicated above.

• 4 weeks later...

Why do you associate what you feel with the sympathetic nervous system?

My personal belief is that you would find the study of hypnosis and auto-suggestion interesting and enlightening. I did.

Also, I would think you could do a better job of explaining just what you are experiencing and thinking when you think.

My personal belief is that you would find the study of hypnosis and auto-suggestion interesting and enlightening.

Are those two mutually exclusive?

If you had answered my question, I would have been in a position to answer this one of yours.

You might be confusing me with Ahmad. I didn't answer his question because I'm not him. I've never experienced Ahmad's "strange self-induced feeling" so I obviously can't know how much, or answer why, it is similar to an aggravated sympathetic nervous system.

My personal belief is that you would find the study of hypnosis and auto-suggestion interesting and enlightening.

Are these two mutually exclusive?

If self-hypnosis can cause a stimulated sympathetic nervous system then why would you suggest studying the one rather than associating the feeling with the other?

That wouldn't make any kind of sense.

• 4 years later...

Is this thread still being monitored? I just searched today for information about what Ahmad wrote and found this... it seems very similar to what I have been able to do for many years and always wondered about. I have discovered a very useful benefit and just wonder what this induced feeling really is, how common it is, and if there are any known effects good or bad. It's really strange but must have an explanation.

I've found myself able to do something I recognize here somewhat as well, for as long as I can remember: it works best when I lie down, but even now when sitting at my desk, I'm able to provoke it, but I have to sit still; I'd see a bit sharper, I'd feel something weird in my thorax and abdomen, radiating towards my limbs and head, and although it does not require total muscle relaxation, it works best when sitting/lying still. When evoking it, I can feel my knees being pulled a bit towards one another slightly. And I have the feeling that my head falls a bit downwards, yet not much.

I'm very eager about knowing what this might be; should be some sort of muscle or msucle group contracting/relaxing at the same time, since the autonomous nervous system won't let itself be activated by our very mind ;) how wonderful would a (functional) MRI of our brain and whole body be to discover the truth behind this weird phenomenon.

Edited by Function

Ok so after setting up a question, and you can find that in "Strange Self-Induced Feeling" on my profile, I was answered that a strange, unexplainable feeling I can create is actually me somehow activating/aggravating/consciously stimulating my parasympathetic nervous system. I would just like to know if that is the case and if so, why am I able to do that? What are the pros/cons (if any) of doing so and if there are any applications to this "skill"? Is it something uncommon or can everyone do it but I was lucky enough to have found a way to do so by some means? Out of all the people I know, only one other friend of mine can do it and understand what I mean, but he is oblivious to its uses/effects as well. And lastly, can it be anything other than the PNS? All forms of help would greatly appreciated! thanks!

Ps.: My explanation of the feeling can be found on my other post, indicated above.

I think you'll notice that invoking those sensations are tied to your breathing and, possibly, diaphragm constriction. What you may be voluntarily invoking are those physiological mechanisms associate with panic without the emotional elements of that state. You're likely able to cause these sensation through shallow, somewhat constricted breathing. This process may involve the release of stress hormones that initiate a cascade of anticipatory physical reactions such as rapid pulse, vassal constriction, muscle tinkling, and shallow breathing. The euphoria you may feel after exiting this voluntary state is likely your brain chemistry counteracting the effects of your self-induce panic-like state. I hope this helps.