gravitons

Not yet, and if they are ever discovered, they will be considered bosons, which are just terms defining forces, a la another word for gravity, presto, graviton! I don't really see what is holding up the process. We already know so much about gravity to define all of its characteristics. Maybe science is hesitant to be so blatant about renaming a force as a particle, when it is so commonly discussed in the mainstream, in order to avoid lots of unnecessary confusion.

However, I'm pretty sure somebody will come along and clarify why gravity can't be particalized yet. Good question.

Edited by Realitycheck

Not yet, and if they are ever discovered, they will be considered bosons, which are just terms defining forces, a la another word for gravity, presto, graviton! I don't really see what is holding up the process. We already know so much about gravity to define all of its characteristics. Maybe science is hesitant to be so blatant about renaming a force as a particle, when it is so commonly discussed in the mainstream, in order to avoid lots of unnecessary confusion.

However, I'm pretty sure somebody will come along and clarify why gravity can't be particalized yet. Good question.

What we have are a lot of mathematics to describe situations in a particle collider that are like "Hmm, when we smashed them together, it generated a pattern it shouldn't have, and there's mass missing, so there must be an unknown particle". Gravitons are almost just a random guess at what could fit the mathematics of those anomalies. We know there has to be something that carries to force of gravity, and we know that when there's missing mass but no observable pattern to account for it, there must be an answerable particle or force, but we have an advantage because we already know what the other forces like the strong and EM force do, so what's left but something related to gravity or a bunch of work to define a whole new force?

Edited by questionposter

So what does that mean for the question "are gravitons real. and can they really control gravity?" in your opinion?

In my opinion, one part of the question is asking whether a graviton is a real particle. The second part is asking whether they mediate gravitational forces. In my opinion of course.

So a graviton could exist. Or it may not.

Edited by Mystery111

In my opinion, one part of the question is asking whether a graviton is a real particle. The second part is asking whether they mediate gravitational forces. In my opinion of course.

I tend to agree with that. My question actually did not refer to your post but to another one that is not there, anymore (either it was deleted or it wasn't there in the first place and I mixed up the threads - dunno).

are gravitons real. and can they really control gravity?

No quantum theory of gravity currently exists.

If and when such a theory is developed, we have a name already chosen for the particle that mediates the gravitational force -- the graviton.

So, nobody knows if gravitons are real. If they are then, yes, by definition, they "control" gravity.

I tend to agree with that. My question actually did not refer to your post but to another one that is not there, anymore (either it was deleted or it wasn't there in the first place and I mixed up the threads - dunno).

For the sake of your sanity, the post was there and removed for being spam ;) (if quite clever spam compared to some)

The hunt for the elusive graviton has generated many billions of dollars in research money for the building of particle accelerators worldwide, with most of the funding coming from governments. The reason the graviton is so important is that it would validate the general theory of relativity.

The hunt for the elusive graviton has generated many billions of dollars in research money for the building of particle accelerators worldwide, with most of the funding coming from governments.

There is, to my knowledge, not a single accelerator or detector in the world that was built to find gravitons. What comes closest is probably LIGO, which tries to detect gravitational waves.

The reason the graviton is so important is that it would validate the general theory of relativity.
The graviton is the (expected) result of a quantum mechanical theory of gravity. There is no quantum gravity theory around. General relativity does not feature gravitons, only the elusive gravitational waves (in approximations of the theory).

There is, to my knowledge, not a single accelerator or detector in the world that was built to find gravitons. What comes closest is probably LIGO, which tries to detect gravitational waves.

The graviton is the (expected) result of a quantum mechanical theory of gravity. There is no quantum gravity theory around. General relativity does not feature gravitons, only the elusive gravitational waves (in approximations of the theory).

I guess a lot has changed since the mid- eighties and early nineties when gravitons and gravitinos were in the spotlight. You can see how important it would have been had they found them. I remember watching a T.V. show where they asked a technician at CERN what they were really hoping to find and he said gravitons.

Yes maybe in his opinion he would like to have seen gravitons. We are all under the idea though it was to find the Higgs Boson. Which is still elusive... if it even exists. A lot of people are questioning it now.

Edited by Mystery111

I guess a lot has changed since the mid- eighties and early nineties when gravitons and gravitinos were in the spotlight. You can see how important it would have been had they found them. I remember watching a T.V. show where they asked a technician at CERN what they were really hoping to find and he said gravitons.

I found out that graviton research is still very active at CERN and FERMI . What I really meant to say is that the hunt for the elusive graviton has generated many billions of dollars for research and development in the industry, not that they were specifically trying to build graviton collectors.

CERN - The Standard Model [10 KB]

...this site all CERN CERN logo CERN - European Organization for Nuclear...Although not yet found, the 'graviton' should be the corresponding force-carrying...pieces. Copyright CERN 2008 - Web Communications, DSU-CO...

http://public.web.ce...rdModel-en.html - Find similar - Exclude similar

CERN - Secret dimensions [6 KB]

...this site all CERN CERN logo CERN - European Organization for Nuclear...fundamental forces? Does its carrier, the graviton, exist and where? The idea...lead! Copyright CERN 2008 - Web Communications, DSU-CO...

http://public.web.ce...ensions-en.html - Find similar - Exclude similar

EXO2011RSJetMet < CMS < TWiki [22 KB]

... Discovery Readiness for RS Graviton into a Jet plus MET (Exo2011RSJetMet) RS Jet + MET Team On Statistical Methods Internal Cross-Checks...

https://twiki.cern.c...EXO2011RSJetMet

1. [PDF]

Gravitons and Dark Matter in Universal Extra Dimensions - Fermilab

conferences.fnal.gov/dmwksp/.../Graviton%20Nausheen%20Shah.pd...Similar

You +1'd this publicly. Undo

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

by NR Shah - Cited by 21 - Related articles

Gravitons and Dark. Matter in Universal. Extra Dimensions. Nausheen R. Shah. Carlos E. M. Wagner. PRD 74:104008, 2006 [arXiv: hep-ph/0608140] ...

2. Search for New Dielectron Resonances and Randall-Sundrum ...

www-cdf.fnal.gov/physics/exotic/r2a/...gravitonee/index.htmlCached

Jun 16, 2011 – CDF Logo, Search for New Dielectron Resonances and Randall-Sundrum Gravitons at the Collider Detector at Fermilab, Exotics Logo ...

3. [PDF]

Search for Randall-Sundrum Gravitons in the µµ ... - CDF - Fermilab

www-cdf.fnal.gov/physics/exotic/...fullgraviton/RS_mm_public.pdf

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

Apr 7, 2011 – A search for RS-gravitons in the dimuon channel using data recorded by the ... graviton mass limit for the coupling k/MPl = 0.1 is 1111 GeV/c2, ...

• 4 weeks later...

AS DrR has previously stated, any quantum field theory, by necessity, manifests force carrier bosons such as photons for QED and gluons for QCD. The fact that no quantum field theory of gravity currently exists just means we cannot say wether gravitons exist or do not exist, yet.