Carbon disulphide

skwiff

how would i make CS2 for use in the barking dog experiment (together with the NO/NO2 in my last thread) i did a quick google search and it wasn't too conclusive. would i be correct in thinking heating sulphur over crushed charcoal and a silica gel catalyst?

According to wiki the best reaction formula is

2CH4 + S8 → 2CS2 + 4H2S

Using Natural gas as the carbon source in the presence of silica gel, requiring 600 °C

This method has all but replaced the charcoal method due to price and high temperature, you should be able to do it but it would require temperatures around 850 oC

And be careful because as I am sure you know it is highly flammable and has one of the lowest autoignition temperatures around 90oC

Here is an interesting Article from way back

2CH4 + S8 → 2CS2 + 4H2S

Using Natural gas as the carbon source in the presence of silica gel, requiring 600 °C

This method has all but replaced the charcoal method due to price and high temperature, you should be able to do it but it would require temperatures around 850 oC

And be careful because as I am sure you know it is highly flammable and has one of the lowest autoignition temperatures around 90oC

that and the flammable starting materials :P

thanks for the info :)

2CH4 + S8 → 2CS2 + 4H2S

You do know enough to check the level of poison when doing anything chemical? Right?

Oddly enough though common it may be, H2S is toxic. When I was new to a job as a mechanic in a chemical plant they looked to me. Despite alarms that were depended upon. I let them know when I smelled it. They were so used to it that they couldn't. They could unknowing get a toxic dose.

Saying that- in the good old days of real chemistry sets I made it. Not enough to effect me. uh- not enough to effect me not enuf to effec me .............

That's a good point, the whole reaction, is very dangerous without the proper equipment and training, so don't try this at home :)

good luck finding any CS2 suppliers online! ive looked and there are not many that will sell to the public. it seams that making it is the only way to obtain it. there is a you tube video on how to make it but the guy uses the sulphur/charcoal method.

good luck finding any CS2 suppliers online! ive looked and there are not many that will sell to the public. it seams that making it is the only way to obtain it. there is a you tube video on how to make it but the guy uses the sulphur/charcoal method.

If its the same video I saw pay attention to the start where he says this is a highly dangerous reaction that produced a highly flammable product and a highly toxic product using enough heat to give you a third degree burn and he used a powerful fume hood and full face mask, he himself said nobody should attempt the reaction themselves

Edited by liambob1

If its the same video I saw pay attention to the start where he says this is a highly dangerous reaction that produced a highly flammable product and a highly toxic product using enough heat to give you a third degree burn and he used a powerful fume hood and full face mask, he himself said nobody should attempt the reaction themselves

i know... but there are aload of experiment people shouldnt do... like make nitrogen triiodide or making tollen's reagent... or even mixing prussian blue with acids