Aluminum Powder

• 2 weeks later...

grind it up?

A harder avenue that may impress your teacher.

1. Use a solution of AlCl3 and water (need to prepare it, see suggested method below) and insert Magnesium metal in large strips. I have not perform this, but I would suspect that the Mg will replace the Aluminum and deposit it on the metal Magnesium. You may be able to scrap off the Al and get a solution of very thin Aluminum flakes that is much more reactive than any physical method.

2 AlCl3 +3 Mg --> 3 MgCl2 + 2 Al

Note: I am suggesting AlCl3 as the MgCl2 formed dissolves into the solution unlike say, Mg(OH)2 or MgCO3.

As a student please note that there is ongoing research in the creation of nano-sized aluminum particles given their very special properties.

TO PREPARE ALUMINUM CHLORIDE WATER SOLUTION

1. Dissolve an excess of Al as foil in HCl.

2. Remove undissolved Al and carefully add H2O. You should have a solution of mostly AlCl3 in water and some HCl (not an issue as the Mg will convert it to MgCl2, but you can boil the solution to drive off some of the residual HCl to save the Mg).

• 5 weeks later...

A probably necessary modification as the freed highly reactive Al will react in H2O to form Al(OH)3 and H2.

1. Add Ethanol to anhydrous AlCl3 and insert Magnesium metal in large strips. I have not perform this, but I would suspect that the Mg will replace the Aluminum and deposit it on the metal Magnesium. The deposit may be in the form of Aluminum flakes or crystals. Hopefully, the MgCl2 will remain in solution or separately deposit.

The major issue is to prepare anhydrous AlCl3. If you are brave, try a new suggested technique by myself to use an aqueous preparation method for AlCl3 and than add ethanol, and let evaporate. This works in the preparation of anhydrous Al2O3 by dehydrating aqueous Al(OH)3 with Ethanol (source: Wikipedia article on Al2O3).

Edited by ajkoer

Hello, I am new to science forums and I would like to ask, how can you make fine aluminum powder? I need it for a chemistry experiment.

:rolleyes:Thanks, Eddie

First of all aluminum powder is easily purchased from a paint store. It is added to paints that are to be used to paint aluminum surfaces.

But, if you wish to make your own here is the process.↓

In a food blender put in cut up pieces of aluminum foil and blend until the blender gets hot. [ be careful to not over-heat your blender and ruin it]

Next put the aluminum from the blender into a ballmill. Run the ballmill with the aluminum in it for at least 2 days. [ aluminum dust can ignite when it comes into contact with fresh air so periododically open the ballmill ]..> After 2 days in the ballmill the aluminum should be fine enough to suit your needs.

*Remember!→ Take caution upon opening up the ballmill with the now aluminum dust. [the dust could possibly sponaneously combust]

Edited by First↔Cause ♀

A harder avenue that may impress your teacher.

1. Use a solution of AlCl3 and water (need to prepare it, see suggested method below) and insert Magnesium metal in large strips. I have not perform this, but I would suspect that the Mg will replace the Aluminum and deposit it on the metal Magnesium. You may be able to scrap off the Al and get a solution of very thin Aluminum flakes that is much more reactive than any physical method.

Note: I am suggesting AlCl3 as the MgCl2 formed dissolves into the solution unlike say, Mg(OH)2 or MgCO3.

As a student please note that there is ongoing research in the creation of nano-sized aluminum particles given their very special properties.

TO PREPARE ALUMINUM CHLORIDE WATER SOLUTION

1. Dissolve an excess of Al as foil in HCl.

2. Remove undissolved Al and carefully add H2O. You should have a solution of mostly AlCl3 in water and some HCl (not an issue as the Mg will convert it to MgCl2, but you can boil the solution to drive off some of the residual HCl to save the Mg).

Won't work or, at best, will work badly.

The powdered Al, if any were produced, would react with the water.

• 2 weeks later...

I make metal powders by rubbing the metal against a file. It takes a long time though. Back when I was just a stupid child who wanted to watch chemicals explode, I would try to make copper oxide by making copper filings and heating them.

I make metal powders by rubbing the metal against a file. It takes a long time though. Back when I was just a stupid child who wanted to watch chemicals explode, I would try to make copper oxide by making copper filings and heating them.

The method I gave you [see above] is MUCH better. It gives you a rather large quanity of high quality very finely powder aluminum!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It needs some hardware, but... Melt your aluminium, make droplets at an injector in a high-speed non-oxidizing gas like argon or hydrogen.

Very fine powder, fast production.

Next difficulty: how to avoid any contact with air, or it goes boom.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am new to science forums and I would like to ask, how can you make fine aluminum powder? I need it for a chemistry experiment.

:rolleyes:Thanks, Eddie

I know I'm late on an answer here, but a course file will produce a powder like product when lightly rubbed over solid aluminum. As you get the little powder pile build up a bit, you keep taking it up with like a piece of paper and sprinkle it over the area you are filing, and it breaks it down even further as you continue to do it.

• 4 months later...

I will once again post my method of making pyro-grade aluminum powder.

In a food blender put in cut up pieces of aluminum foil and blend until the blender gets hot. [ be careful to not over-heat your blender and ruin it]

Next put the aluminum from the blender into a ball mill. Run the ball mill with the aluminum in it for at least 2 days. [ aluminum dust can ignite when it comes into contact with fresh air so periodically open the ball mill ]..> After 2 days in the ball mill the aluminum should be fine enough to suit your needs.

*Remember!→ Take caution upon opening up the ball mill with the now aluminum dust. [the dust could possibly spontaneously combust]

** also wear a good respirator since the final product will be about 2 microns and is easily dispersed into the surrounding air. Aluminium dust is harmful to your lungs.

I just made a batch and used it today to make some strobing stars→ worked perfectly.

This grade powdered aluminium is the stuff flash powder in made with. *take Note that flash powder is illegal in specific quantities.

♀ Ushie

I wish to give a bit of advice to people who wish making fireworks. Oh, they are very fun to make and watch. But, if you are not familiar with them they are deadly. .5 grams of good binary flash powder in a self-contained tube is enough to take away a couple fingers. Flash powder IS never safe to make. Even myself who has been making it for over 10 years take EXTREME cautions making it and each time I do...I cross my fingers!

If you have interests in making fireworks, mail me and I will give you safe projects that are really fun and pretty.

Remember not all states in America allow fireworks. So, check the laws of your state first.

Some sayings among pyros:

There are bold pyros.

There are old pyros.

But...

There are few

Old and bold pyros..!

Always use the best fuses...The best fuses may cost a bit more, but worth the investment. The BEST fuses are made in America..American Visco fuses.

A note about fusing fireworks:

It is better to have a fuse a foot too long.

Than to..

Have a fuse an inch too short..!

Be smart↔stay safe.

Ushie ♥

Use a blender on aluminum foil. That is, if you can spare a blender.

If you have something akin to a rock tumbler, put Al foil and a bunch of steel balls (like those from Magnetix sets) in, and run for a week or two. You will be left with black Al powder.

Exactly, it is called a ball-mill. You can purchase one online for about 50 American dollars.

Use a blender on aluminum foil. That is, if you can spare a blender.

If you have something akin to a rock tumbler, put Al foil and a bunch of steel balls (like those from Magnetix sets) in, and run for a week or two. You will be left with black Al powder.

Exactly, it is called a ball-mill. You can purchase one online for about 50 American dollars.

No offense intended, but I get this feeling that American's seem to feel they do everything the best. So I was just wondering the evidence you are basing that statement on.

Her profile (as well as her other profile) states that she is from Romania and is of Roma decent. I don't think she really falls into that stereotype.

Edited by hypervalent_iodine

No offense intended, but I get this feeling that Americans seem to feel they do everything the best. So I was just wondering the evidence you are basing that statement on.

I am not American. I am telling you this for your own safety. Fuses from say China claiming to also be "visco" are often very unpredictable.

The fuse you put into your finished fireworks project could mean a lost limb or worse→ your life!

Lol, I have NO investment in American fuses. Remember the Chinese drywall situation?

I am merely giving you advice to keep yourself safe sir.

Ushie

I am not American. I am telling you this for your own safety. Fuses from say China claiming to also bevisco" are often very unpredictable.

The fuse you put into your finished fireworks project could mean a lost limb or worse→ your life!

Lol, I have NO investment in American fuses. Remember the Chinese drywall situation?

I am merely giving you advice to keep yourself safe sir.

Ushie

Oh, sorry→ I am basing my evidence upon 10 years as a pyrotechnic. I have had a number of very unwanted happenings by trying to save some money buying cheap fuses. Invest in the best.↓

Your life is worth a few American dollars more.

True?

Her profile (as well as her other profile) states that she is from Romania and is of Roma decent. I don't think she really falls into that stereotype.

Do you really think applying a stereotype to any group is appropriate, considering being a seemingly well learned person.

Regarding the fuse?

I posted that information with purpose.

Yes, I am not American. Does that really matter sir?

Your safety and the safety of others does matter...to me.

Can Asia be faulted for being the defined largest contingent upon the earth?

No, of course not.

Can America be faulted for making what I have found during my 10 years constructing and detonating fireworks to be the most consistent and reliable fuses?

No, of course not.

Facts are facts; and facts are very stubborn things sir, they consistently insist upon being true.

I would also extend that to firearm ammunition. My brother is a Major in the United States Army working in the capacity of engineering creative and more efficient weapons to assure that the American warrior is as best prepared for battle as possible. He would confirm my assertion regarding ammunition.

Soft dreams sir,

Ushie

Sorry→ Asia being the largest continent.

Sorry→ Asia being the largest continent.

I sill lack grasp as to sending personal massages; so, excuse my unorthodox method in the relay of this message..

Dear Madame,

Could you please be so congenial as to elaborate just what type of "stereotype" I am supposed to comply with?

My requiring such I think is very reasonable. It piques my mind as to what that may be. Please excuse me if I so demonstrate prolixity in my lettres, as English is not my native language.

And, oh!→ excusez-moi beaucoup, I was of the impression you were a male.

Instead, from your photo so posted, it is reflective of a very prodigious woman; one very demonstrative of a well erudiate person of chemistry.

Should you have wonderment as why I once had two accounts let me explain:

Upon my first account I was experiencing difficulties sending personal messages as this. I was advised to create a new account; which I did. Be assured, my first account no longer exists. A Captain 'Fresh {I think was his screen-name} had contacted me and rectified any disallowed second accounts.

My name is Ushie Anyka Mayna, { and yes, I am Roma}; I do hope future correspondences will be far less formal.

Soft dreams to you,

Ushie→ Many call me Ann.

Edited by Queen of Wands

Dear Madame,

Could you please be so congenial as to elaborate just what type of "stereotype" I am supposed to comply with?

Suxamethonium assumed you were an elitist American proudly asserting that everything American HAS to be better. hypervalent_iodine was telling him you aren't an American and therefore don't fit that stereotype. She was NOT suggesting you had to comply with anything. She doesn't need me to answer for her, but she's asleep in Australia at the moment and I didn't want you to think she was aiming her comment at you.

All good?

Yeah, sorry. I didn't actually check if you were American or not when I implied that- For that you have my apologies.

However, just because a fuse is not American doesn't make it Chinese by default. Also- I was under the opinion (I could be wrong it's not exactly my area of interest) that Japan were the elite in pyrotechnics- I was reading in a newspaper around the time of the 2000 NYE which claimed the highest end pyrotechnics employed originated in Japan. Also, being in Australia, if I was so inclined to make explosives of any degree, specifically looking for American fuses as opposed to any countries high quality fuses seems like a waste of effort and time- so maybe it would be more effective simply to invest in good quality fuses regardless if they are American or not?