The difference between Images and Graphics.

Jorany

Hello everybody, I'm getting confused with these two things, they happen to be used interchangeably but they are not really similar, so if anyone of you guys can help me out to find what is the difference between these two things, Please help me out!!!!

Well, an image is a picture. Image can also be how people see something, as in public relations. Bad image means people think poorly of you in general.

Graphics can be anything from how something looks to artworks of different kinds, but it depends on context I think. Also, computer graphics is the output of the ones and zeros to a computer screen.

At least that's my take on them. But I'm not a native speaker, nor am I that good on definitions, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Edit: I'm sorry! I just noticed what forum this was posted in.

When it comes to computers, an image is a picture file. Graphics is the displaying data (most oftenly not counting text, even though that also requires a graphics card) onto the computer screen. Sorry for the rant above.

Edited by pwagen

• 3 weeks later...

In computer science ...

An image is a 2-dimensional plane of pixels where every pixel have a domain of colors ...

A Graphics is a graphical object-oriented framework, which can be 1-dim (vector), 2-dim (plane), 3-dim (object), 4-dim (animation) ...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your information

In computer science ...

An image is a 2-dimensional plane of pixels where every pixel have a domain of colors ...

A Graphics is a graphical object-oriented framework, which can be 1-dim (vector), 2-dim (plane), 3-dim (object), 4-dim (animation) ...

• 2 weeks later...

To complete the nomenclature, I think you are really comparing a raster image versus a graphic/vector image.

So with that, the raster image is a pixel by pixel description, while a graphic/vector image is represented by mathematical vector equations of the paths used to create the object.

Rasters: Great for producing complicated color changes, ie Photographs. Do not scale well and programs use interpolation methods to do so.

Graphics/Vectors: Great for illustrations which consist of solid colors or gradients. Scale perfectly. Not good for photographs.

This is more of a Visual Communication Design description, but is still valid in the computer science world. sorry for the week late response lol. hope this helps.

In computing an Image file is not a picture. You can have an Image file of a Hard Drive. This type of file is a copy of the data on the hard drive that retains the exact positions of the bits that make up the data.

So an image is not the same as a picture (it is really an analogy).

• 4 weeks later...

Let me give you a clear example:

You are sitting inside a room, now .. you are looking at the room,

What you see is an image of what is in the room

The room, including all objects within, including you too, is a 3D\4D Graphics,

So, the difference between Graphics and Images, are like difference between Reality and Snapshot.

• 4 weeks later...

Graphics/Vectors: Great for illustrations which consist of solid colors or gradients. Scale perfectly. Not good for photographs.

How close technologically are we to the point where computers are fast enough that vector will be the default and most natural choice for all image formats of a typical size (2048 × 1536), including photographs and 3-D?