Unit Conversions

Professio

I Know This Is Stupid But I Dont Understand? Can Someone Please Give Me A Website That Could Teach Me How To Do This? Or Atleast Give Me Some Good Examples?

I appriciate it alot. Thanks.

Always multiply by 1.

e.g. 1 m = 100 cm

so you can multiply by 1m/100cm or 100cm/1m

I can't think of any web sites, but here are some tips:

1. When converting between standard and metric units, or any other identity relationship like Avogadros number (i.e. molecules/mole or inches/cm), multiply your quantity by the identity ratio (like inches/cm) that will cross cancel your units and leave behind the ones you want.

ex.

10in(2.54cm/1in)=25.4cm...my inches cancel and im left with cm in the numerator.

2. When using SI units it is just a shift of the decimal. Sometimes you may have to do a number of conversions and this is simplified by using scientific notation where everything is multiplied by magnitudes of ten. Conversions then become addition and subtraction problems as you divide or multiply by orders of ten, with the occasional multiplication problem when raising a conversion to a power (like 10^4cm^2/m^2=[10^2cm/m]^2). This is a lot easier then dealing with the evil tyrant that is the standard(US) system.