• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dstebbins

dstebbins

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 5 August 2010 - 02:06 AM

How thick is a single, 8.5" x 11" sheet of standard printer paper?

I saw this article on Cha Chathat said it was about nine millimeters, but that CAN'T be right!

How thick is a sheet of printer paper?

Edited by dstebbins, 5 August 2010 - 02:06 AM.

#2 darkenlighten

darkenlighten

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 158 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 5 August 2010 - 02:21 AM

Paper thin! lol I found it to be around .1 - .0254 mm

#3 DJBruce

DJBruce

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 890 posts
  • LocationBrighton, MI

Posted 5 August 2010 - 02:25 AM

Standard printer paper is approximately .1mm thick. For paper with a basis weight of 20 lbs, which is what I use in my printer, has a thickness of .097 mm. So you are right the Cha Cha answer does appear to be way off the mark.

For fun, I did a quick check. I measured a ream of unopened paper to have a height of about 4.6 cm. The ream contains 500 sheets of paper with a paper wrapping on the top and the bottom. Lets assume the paper wrapping in the same thickness as the actual printer paper. This would mean the ream has 502 sheets of paper in it. At a height of 4.6 cm or 46 mm, this would mean each piece of paper has a height of .0916 mm. Which for seems close enough to the wikipedia value for me to accept them both.

Edited by DJBruce, 5 August 2010 - 02:31 AM.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more."

Help the children of Meknes, Morocco 

#4 Slider7w

Slider7w

Lepton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

A mil is not short for millimeter. A mil is one thousand of an inch or 0.001"

#5 zapatos

zapatos

Lepton

• Senior Members
  • 1,726 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

Right Slider. The article says the thickness of paper is about 9 mil, not 9 millimeters. Nine mil is correct.
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. -MP

"As a good christian, I'm always going to disagree with any proof you try to give me." -Peter BE cimp

#6 Matt Hunt

Matt Hunt

Lepton

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 7 May 2011 - 11:42 PM

What you do is you get a ream of paper, take note how many sheets are in the ream and then measure the thickness and divide by the number of sheets.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users