What would you change about the new SFN?

We don't use the old vBulletin system of giving certain members more power to alter reputation points than others. In vBulletin it was easy for one member to be handing out dozens of points at once -- or thousands, if things got out of hand. Now, it's all one point for everyone.[/Quote]

CR; Think you know, I understand this and that you simply dropped negative points for awhile, which was fine. However something must effect the Profile Reputation Number and I suspect it come comes approval/disapproval of threads. If so, the fact the profile count doesn't show on a posters post, means very little.

Anyway, you advised Moon his total per day had been INCREASED by a "large factor", so for the sake of being polite, this means everyone's daily total has increased. I'd never know and really don't care, because I do not use them, rather posting a reply if I'm impressed or disagree with a poster.

Furthermore, your total reputation count does not display on each post. When viewing a discussion, you only see how each post fared, so every post is considered in isolation. [/Quote]

Yes, again I understand as this is the old "five Star" system which I've kind of wondered if a positive point, takes from a Negative Count. I've seen this on a long gone political forum, where a small group figured this out, knocking all plus five star post back to a negative count. I've seen quite a few post, with IMO unexplainable negative counts (not mine) for newer members and somehow I'm sure some of these came from members that knew these folks elsewhere.

CR; Think you know, I understand this and that you simply dropped negative points for awhile, which was fine. However something must effect the Profile Reputation Number and I suspect it come comes approval/disapproval of threads. If so, the fact the profile count doesn't show on a posters post, means very little.

It means there's less of a stigma from having a low reputation.

Yes, again I understand as this is the old "five Star" system which I've kind of wondered if a positive point, takes from a Negative Count. I've seen this on a long gone political forum, where a small group figured this out, knocking all plus five star post back to a negative count. I've seen quite a few post, with IMO unexplainable negative counts (not mine) for newer members and somehow I'm sure some of these came from members that knew these folks elsewhere.

Five star system?

You can indeed counter a negative vote with a positive vote, but everyone's vote counts equally, so there can't be an elite group with thousands of reputation points that decides things. That was the biggest problem with the old system.

It means there's less of a stigma from having a low reputation.

Five star system?

You can indeed counter a negative vote with a positive vote, but everyone's vote counts equally, so there can't be an elite group with thousands of reputation points that decides things. That was the biggest problem with the old system.

I'm glad the old system of Rep Power has gone....it created and encouraged a situation that I remember Severian called 'one big circle jerk'. Now people's rep is more inclined to represent merit rather than influence. Wise move CR. ;)

Hi all.

When I edit and add some comment in a last post of mine, the date & time of the post does not change, because they merge. As a result, although I made some comment today at 12.40, in the list of threads, it is mentionned as "last post yesterday 8.30". I would suggest to correct that or to eliminate the merging of posts from the same individual.

Allow me to test this. I'll come back and double-post in a moment.

Test.

Hmm, nope. Merged posts are updated with the timestamp of the latest post. However, if you merely edit a post, rather than merging a new one into it, the timestamp is not updated. If you want the post to appear new, just make a new post in the thread, rather than editing your old one.

Allow me to test this. I'll come back and double-post in a moment.

Test.

Hmm, nope. Merged posts are updated with the timestamp of the latest post. However, if you merely edit a post, rather than merging a new one into it, the timestamp is not updated. If you want the post to appear new, just make a new post in the thread, rather than editing your old one.

Thanks. ill try here

this is edit.

this is reply

you are right. Thanks a lot.

Edited by michel123456

I noticed today a member has been banned. It should be useful to mention it in threads open by this member. Specifically Cabinintheforest has been asked to answer a question in "atheistic intelligent design" under Speculations. He won't be able to answer. The active members of the thread should be informed. I don't know if it is possible to do that without an immense headache...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hm. By default, the "My Content" search is limited to threads from the last year; it looks like it counts from thread start date, rather than last post date. I'll file a bug -- surely it should search the threads active in the last year, regardless of when they were posted.

Bug report: http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-26835-my-content-limits-by-thread-start-date-not-last-post-date/

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed today a member has been banned. It should be useful to mention it in threads open by this member. Specifically Cabinintheforest has been asked to answer a question in "atheistic intelligent design" under Speculations. He won't be able to answer. The active members of the thread should be informed. I don't know if it is possible to do that without an immense headache...

We post suspensions in the Announcements forum, but I don't think many people keep up-to-date on that. I'll see if I can get banned members to appear different from regular members, like they used to.

Any progress on this?

Right now it doesn't even seem to show on the members profile page that they are banned.

Maybe they could be placed in a usergroup with it's own "Banished" title similar to what experts and moderators have under their avatar but with skulls instead of stars or alternatively that at least their ordinary user title should change to "Banished".

(Other titles might also be needed for suspensions and similar lighter/shorter regulations.)