HOw do i measure in grams without an expensive scale?.

aaabha

HOw do i measure in grams without an expensive scale?

For a chemistry experiment, i have to measure in grams, but i don't have a scale at home, what do i do instead of buying one?frown.gif Please help me

You can make a scale with a lever and fulcrum and a known weight that you can position to make it balance with the desired weight. Use the formula distance * weight on each side of the fulcrum to position the fulcrum for the desired amount. If more precision is required include the weight of the lever by including the unit weight of the lever * 1/2 the distance squared on each side.

I'm using Tangent Digital mini scale. Up to max 300g. cost about $47 usd, I converted from local currency. reasonable price. Some places may sell cheaper. There may be other makers of such products. or check second-hand stores, ebay...

• 1 month later...

HOw do i measure in grams without an expensive scale?

For a chemistry experiment, i have to measure in grams, but i don't have a scale at home, what do i do instead of buying one?frown.gif Please help me

Use your eyes,

Say for instance you have 200kg of salt, You need 50kg only.. You would predict A quarter of the bag right...

If you have to be precise then I would say maybe talk to you Prof. Explain you can't buy one and maybe spend the time doing the experiment after hours?

I would say attempt to use your eyes and common sence

GoodLuck,

Truth

I don't think doing a chemistry experiment by eyeballing the numbers will get you much accuracy. Particularly when we're talking grams, not kilograms.

I am sure you could work aroud it to be hinest with you.

And he said he dont want to buy one. And I also otioned other ideas.

Thanks for your attention though.

Truth.

In general, I think a person would have to quickly figure out how to make a low-cost balance scale...

But in reference to the non-helpful necromancer....

I have no sure idea for it.

buffyj.jpg

Edited by Genecks