Physics Calculus Question

Tacobell

Hello, I have been working on these two simple calc questions and I am getting them wrong.

One is:

Suppose that 3 J of work is needed to stretch a spring from its natural length of 30 cm to a length of 42 cm.

(a) How much work W is needed to stretch the spring from 41 cm to 46 cm? (Round the answer to the nearest hundredth.)

For this one I am integrating (1/4)*k from 11 to 16 and getting 16.875 J

(b) How far beyond its natural length will a force of 50 N keep the spring stretched? (Round the answer to the nearest tenth.)

For this problem I am confused. I am just doing 50=(1/4)*x; this is incorrect too. I have a feeling that my problem on these two questions are units

There is this one last problem I am stuck on too, it seems very simple.

1.jpg

For this problem I just saw that my distance had a y value of 3f so that means 3*6*40m. What am I doing wrong here?

TacoBell

What does k stand for, what it is value, how did you get this value? Note that usually the force is written as F = -k*displacement, not F=-(k/4)*displacement. But using k/4 consistently should still work fine in your case.

EDIT: Got the constant on the k wrong myself. should be fine, now.

Edited by timo

For this one I am integrating (1/4)*k from 11 to 16 and getting 16.875 J

Work is [imath]\int kx \,\mbox{d}x[/imath]...

You're missing a factor of x

What do you mean the "x" factor?

You should be integrating [imath]k x[/imath], not [imath]k[/imath]. Hence being out by a factor of [imath]x[/imath].