can a black hole exist inside of another black hole?

noz92

there's a theory that says that our universe may only be a black hole. if this is so, we have black holes in our universe, then would that mean that black holes can exist in other black holes?

another enquiry about this, is how would the black hole even get into a different black hole in the first place? would it be possible for a black hole with strong gravity (this is by black hole standards) to suck in another black hole with lighter gravity?

true, but it does make you think, with all the people who read it before it was published, you'd think somebody would have thought of this. but, there might be more to the theory that i don't remember (it's been a while since i read it).

true, but it does make you think, with all the people who read it before it was published, you'd think somebody would have thought of this. but, there might be more to the theory that i don't remember (it's been a while since i read it).

Then it was a really good article! Everything that makes one think is of good character...

I don't understand how that universe = blackhole came up... but if we are living in a blackhole, how is it possible that we can withstand its gravitational force and still live normally? If universe = blackhole, there must be another universe outside ours to include it in...

No one has ever entered a blackhole, but I doubt blackhole's internal regions are different from the external unless the force changes dramatically; to me, blackhole is not a typhoon where in the typhoon eye, there is no wind... even if you get into the centre of the blackhole, I don't think you'll experience 0 gravity...

there's a theory that says that our universe may only be a black hole. if this is so' date=' we have black holes in our universe, then would that mean that black holes can exist in other black holes?

another enquiry about this, is how would the black hole even get into a different black hole in the first place? would it be possible for a black hole with strong gravity (this is by black hole standards) to suck in another black hole with lighter gravity?[/quote']

Your just misinterpreting the theory. It was Hawking who came up with it. He came up with it because a black hole eats up matter and energy, but it also radiates matter and energy (not the same stuff it eats though). So, black holes disintegrate themselves. The problem comes when you realize that all of the matter and energy it ate didn't radiate from the black hole, but it's not there when the black hole eventually disintegrates itself either. So Hawking asked, where did all of the eaten matter and energy go? He said that when a black hole forms, it creates a "baby universe", and that's where all of the lost information goes. The baby universe isn't inside the black hole, but you can think of it more as "on the other side of the black hole." But Hawking has apparently taken this theory back recently.

Technically speaking the universe is a blackhole, in that light can never escape from it. IMO Gravity curls space back in on itself so light never escapes on the macroscopic level, analogous (but not the same as) to what happens on more localised scales with 'traditional' black holes. The idea of things repeating themselves on differing scales (ie a universe in an atom OR our universe is but a fundamental particle of a larger universe) is as old as the ages. However it looks doomed to the realm of metaphysics and philosophy, the different relative sizes rule out the ability to ever observe the universe above or below you, even if they existed, which they more than likely don't.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, back to the topic at hand, a black hole wouldn't nescessarily absorb the mass of things it swallowed. This uncertantie allows room for the question: What is a black hole swallowed a neutron star, and, while in the black hole, the nuetron star collapsed into another black hole?

So yes, I think a black hole could easily exist in another black hole. :D

Since we not really know what exactly a blackhole is.. it's just speculations. Rather good ones though! And from what i have read, mosty Penrose and Hawking. A blackhole inside another blackhole is in the way u describe it, indeed impossible. A Neutron star wouldn't pass into a blackhole, it will be absorbed. A blackhole that merges with another would follow the easy math 1+1=1 ;)