Can plants take in sugar ?

skyhook

Hi,

I'd like to know if plants can take in sugar through the roots ?

I'm doing some simple in-vitro experiments with orchids. I follow some procedures without really understanding why. Table sugar is used as an ingredients and those orchid seeds grows in the medium. Sugar is said to be a carbon source. do you know how the orchid protocorms takes in the sugar ?

For plants grown in the soil or pots, is it possible for roots to take in glucose, carbohydrates, polysaccharides ( complex sugars?) and molasses directly ?

Thanks.

this is not my area of expertise, however if i remember right, your sugar is not directly taken in by the roots, rather the sugar decomposes into carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen and those simple components are taken in by the roots to be used in photosynthesis to produce glucose.

If you have parasitic orchids, then they definitely will be able to absorb sugar. I think most plants would be able to anyways, but I'm not sure. If the plant can absorb sugar, it can grow that much quicker as it won't have to get its carbon from the air via photosynthesis. Just be sure your sugar doesn't become a breeding ground for bacteria.

ZolarV, nope it does not work that way, sorry.

Generally plants are not dependent on external C sources too much (with exception) however all plants tend to lose carbohydrates (and other compounds) by exudation through the root. They have mechanisms to recapture some of it (in competition with microorganisms, of course). As far as I am aware that is limited to low MW sugars, though. Protocorms will definitely take up e.g. glucose, trehalose or mannitol (some commonly used C sources) but I doubt it will be able to utilize anything more complex than that (unless bacteria are around to digest it, but then they will feed, too).

Thanks guys. I've another question related to sugar.

Other than sugar cane, are there any examples of plants or trees, with stem sap that contains much sugar, and that insects are seen feeding on the sap ?

• 8 years later...