Planets Orbit Not Because Of Gravity Energy But Because Of Griff Energy Closed Thread

gafferuk

Then the planets are constantly being effected by gravity too, so just as in i jump i EVENTUALLY slow down and fall, so will the planets as there effected by gravity too.

So one day the planets will hit the sun?

It depends. Not if they remain in equilibrium, or if the forces pushing them away from the sun exceed the attraction of gravity due to the sun's mass.

Do you know how to calculate vectors?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It depends. Not if they remain in equilibrium, or if the forces pushing them away from the sun exceed the attraction of gravity due to the sun's mass.

Do you know how to calculate vectors?

I know what one is but know litle of math.

What does "Not if they remain in equilibrium" mean? I just want to know if ONE DAY the planets will slow down and fall/spiral towards the sun?

I fall when I jump, because of the force of gravity.

So one day the planets should fall too, because of gravity.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

What I was told is when you leaves earths orbit you start to float in the space craft as you have left the gravitatonal pull of the planet behind you.

Most planets won't eventually hit the sun. Read my earlier post about the ball and string.

In fact, the Moon is actually getting several inches farther away from the Earth each year.

Remember, the planets are going around the sun, so the Sun's gravity just pulls their paths into the circle. If there's something going in a straight line, and I hit it on the side, it keeps going forward at the same speed but now also goes sideways, right?

So which of these statements is true?

1: I fall when I jump, because of the force of gravity.

2: when you leaves earths orbit you start to float in the space craft as you have left the gravitatonal pull of the planet behind you.

So which of these statements is true?

1: I fall when I jump, because of the force of gravity.

True.

They are falling. They're just going so fast sideways that they miss the Sun entirely, and go around in a circle.

2: when you leaves earths orbit you start to float in the space craft as you have left the gravitatonal pull of the planet behind you.

Nope. You're still being pulled on by gravity. Think of it this way:

Imagine you're in an elevator. The elevator starts going down. Because it's accelerating down, you feel lighter, right? For a moment while it speeds up you feel light. Gravity's still pulling on you just the same -- it's just that the floor isn't pushing up on you as hard as it used to, since it's going down.

Suppose someone cut the elevator cables and it starts falling. The elevator car starts falling as fast as gravity can pull it, and so do you. So the elevator and you are falling down at exactly the same speed. If you jump, you'll end up floating in the middle of the elevator, since it won't "catch up" with you and hit you.

Same goes in space. You and the spacecraft are pulled on by gravity, and there's no resistance. There's no ground to push up on your feet, or up on the spacecraft. So you appear to float.

Im sat in a chain on earth, gravity keeps me on the seat.

If i stick the chain on a 100 mile pole and sat on the chain, and jumped a little, would i float off NEVER to return or would i EVENTUALLY return to the seat?

If you're just sitting, you'd fall right back onto the seat. Now, if you were in orbit at 17,000 mph, that would be a different matter. Take a look at my earlier post about strings and balls again.

Another way to look at it is if you could some how magically suspend your self in a box or space craft at 18,000 miles above the earth but be stationary with respect to the earth you would not float. you would still feel gravity, a much reduced gravity but gravity all the same. If your space ship and the earth were the only objects in the universe and you were 1 billion light years away but totally stationary in respect to the earth you would still feel a very very tiny pull from the earth, enough to eventually make you stick to the side of your space craft closest to the earth. Motion is what makes you float, not the absence of gravity.

Im sat in a chain on earth, gravity keeps me on the seat.

If i stick the chain on a 100 mile pole and sat on the chain, and jumped a little, would i float off NEVER to return or would i EVENTUALLY return to the seat?

You wouldn't be going sideways fast enough to go into an orbit so you'd hit the ground.

Another way to look at it is if you could some how magically suspend your self in a box or space craft at 18,000 miles above the earth but be stationary with respect to the earth you would not float. you would still feel gravity, a much reduced gravity but gravity all the same. If your space ship and the earth were the only objects in the universe and you were 1 billion light years away but totally stationary in respect to the earth you would still feel a very very tiny pull from the earth, enough to eventually make you stick to the side of your space craft closest to the earth. Motion is what makes you float, not the absence of gravity.

Then things everywhere are effected by gravity as stated by newtons law, so then EVENTUALLY the planets will spiral to the sun GUARANTEED!

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Because there is not enough friction in space to slow down planets.

so in space, the ball spins FOREVER!?

Then things everywhere are effected by gravity as stated by newtons law, so then EVENTUALLY the planets will spiral to the sun GUARANTEED!

Nope. You're not listening. The Moon is actually getting farther away from Earth as it orbits.

Gravity doesn't slow down things in orbit, if they're in a circular orbit. They're going sideways, not up or down. It just pulls them into a circle.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

The orbital motions of the planets negate the pull of gravity, the sun will not exist long enough for the orbits of the planets to deteriorate significantly due to friction with gas and dust in space.

so in space, the ball spins FOREVER!?

For all practical purposes , yes!

Nope. You're not listening. The Moon is actually getting farther away from Earth as it orbits.

Gravity doesn't slow down things in orbit, if they're in a circular orbit. They're going sideways, not up or down. It just pulls them into a circle.

if i jump i fall, how can going sideways at any speed stop me from EVER falling? EVENTUALLY as gravity is pulling i must slow down. This is where i just don't understand what you are saying.

Does the word "weightless" exist?

Capt'n, actually gravity can slow things down under the correct circumstances, if the Earth were rotating retrograde or the moon was orbiting retro grade gravitational friction would cause the moon to spiral into the earth, as a matter of fact it would already have happened not long after the formation of the moon.

if i jump i fall, how can going sideways at any speed stop me from EVER falling? EVENTUALLY as gravity is pulling i must slow down. This is where i just don't understand what you are saying.

But if you're going sideways fast enough, you miss the Earth entirely.

Imagine an object above Earth going very, very fast sideways. Gravity pulls on it. The object continues going sideways, but it's also going down a bit. Gravity continues pulling on it, so the path starts looking like a circle -- sideways and down.

If you go too slow, you eventually fall into the ground, going both sideways and down. But if you go fast, the path you take looks like a circle that's bigger than the Earth. You go right around.

Imagine that path in your head and what happens as you go faster and faster sideways.

Capt'n, actually gravity can slow things down under the correct circumstances

I would think that as gravity is a constant force, this would be guaranteed.

EVERYTHING i know of 1 meter above the earths surface will fall without power EVENTUALLY regardless of how fast it is moving.

If the planets will never slow down then it's griff energy doing its thing, else it's gavity energy doing it's thing and one day the planets will spiral to the sun guaranteed!

Edited by gafferuk

Gaff, it's already been said, the centrifugal force of the motion of the planets prevents gravity from pulling them in.

Does the word "weightless" exist?

It does but it should be micro gravity instead of weightless

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Nope, the exchange of energy between both bodies is different if they rotate and orbit in different directions. In the case of the Earth and Moon, they will move apart, the earth's rotation will slow down till both orbit with one hemisphere always facing each other. This will take longer than the sun will exist so don't look for it any time soon.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

EVERYTHING i know of 1 meter above the earths surface will fall without power EVENTUALLY regardless of how fast it is moving.

Only because of friction gaff, only due to friction. If there was no air or mountains you could orbit at 1 Nano meter .

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
How can they not slow down but i do when I jump?

This has been answered several times already gaff, i see no reason to do it again.

Edited by Moontanman
Consecutive posts merged.

So what you are saying is a aeroplane flying around the planet at 1 meter only travelling at 100 miles an hour stoped it's engine will fall to the earth guaranteed.

But the same plane going at a very fast speed and turns off it's enging will never hit the earth?

If the planets will never slow down then it's griff energy doing its thing, else it's gavity energy doing it's thing and one day the planets will spiral to the sun guaranteed!

Gaff, I'll say this one more time, there is nothing to slow down planets but friction, not enough friction to slow down planets over time scales that are meaningful to humans. so yes given enough time planets would indeed spiral into the sun but the sun and maybe even our universe will not exist long enough for this to happen.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
So what you are saying is a aeroplane flying around the planet at 1 meter only travelling at 100 miles an hour stoped it's engine will fall to the earth guaranteed.

But the same plane going at a very fast speed and turns off it's enging will never hit the earth?

Yes, if there was no air, and no mountains higher than 100 feet and the airplane was going fast enough it would "never" hit the ground. Of course if there was no air it would not be an airplane now would it?

Gaff' date=' I'll say this one more time, there is nothing to slow down planets but friction[/mp']

so gravity does not slow things down, the fast aeroplane in my last post will never hit the earth?

Please read the posts the people here are providing, then get back to us on any point we have not covered.

how can something at a certain speed stop the object from ever slowing down because of gravity?

I would thought that eventually the planets would spiral to the sun guaranteed! and would not take that long.

What is the speed of the planet moving divided by the fall of the planet from the suns gravity?

Thats a good start. is this greater or lesser than 1?

that number which im sure is less than 1 is the amount it would slow down by.

I can not understand how something with a constant force being applied to it like gravity will NEVER slow down and spiral to the sun.

Edited by gafferuk