2 replies to this topic

#1 naturoils

naturoils

Lepton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 7 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

Hi! I am new to this forum.
I need some help on this from you folks.
In future some time soon I may have to check out Potassium Chlorate for purity.This will be done before I send this for analysis to a proper lab.
I require to put together a kit to test KCLO3.
Something not too elaborate and at the same time having some accuracy,so that I can decide and send it for further test in a Lab.
Any suggestions ?

#2 hermanntrude

hermanntrude

Chemistry Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 7 December 2009 - 04:07 PM

melting point is usually a good indicator of purity. potassium chlorate decomposes very shortly after melting so don't be surprised to see a lot of oxygen bubbles coming off.

You could also try this: http://www.springerl...0q88m65t3p6644/

Although that's only specific for chlorate, so it wouldn't indicate, for instance, if you had sodium chlorate present.
No Trees Were Harmed In The Sending Of This Message. However, A Large Number Of Electrons Were Seriously Inconvenienced

consider text in my posts which is in Purple as being sarcastic.

#3 lucky45

lucky45

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 2 January 2010 - 09:05 PM

Assuming your making your own KCLO3, from Potassium chloride, You can use Indigo-Carmine to see if you have Clorate. After about 3-4 days of cell operation If you do Which you will, Harvest your KCLO3 and filter out the remaining potassium Cloride, with ICE Water. As far as 100% purity, I really don't think it matters,But if your after KCLO4 (IT DOES!!)

Thankyou LUCKY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users