Video lectures on computer science and engineering

seouldavid

Well, that said, I can't help but link to what I think are the greatest source of video lectures on computer programming:

The Sussman/Abelson SICP lectures

While this course is intended for freshmen, I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. If you are a well seasoned imperative programmer who's wondering what all this functional stuff is about, these are a great series of lectures I would love for you to watch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hosted by Stewart Cheifet, Computer Chronicles was the world's most popular television program on personal technology during the height of the personal computer revolution. It was broadcast for twenty years from 1983 - 2002. This is excerpted from the Internet Archive's Computer Chronicles page, which contains many interesting videos about computers, technologies, games, business, arts and more.

http://www.archive.org/details/computerchronicles

• 4 months later...

What happened to the three laws of robotics?

Isn't there a rule against giving artificial intelligence arms and legs?

Providing a learning intelligence with the means to injure or eliminate its slower and less intelligent creator is absurd to me.

A learning machine could easily find a logical reason to erraticate the chaos that it sees in its makers. That would overcome any "prime directive" against harming a human. Part of the learning process is challenging the status quo. We all go through that in our teen years. What happens when all the AI (who are connected through the internet) go through this at the same time?

Am I wrong to be concerned at the direction that AI is predicted to take?

I also find the idea of implanted intelligence (computers in our brains) a good way to control the masses - even moreso than is done through the media today. Once the implant is installed who decides what "upgrades" it accepts?

I don't see this as a problem that will occur in my life time but in my children's or grandchildren's lifetime it is more probable than simply possible.

I like technology - it is easy to turn off! In the future who controls the switch?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, that said, I can't help but link to what I think are the greatest source of video lectures on computer programming:

The Sussman/Abelson SICP lectures

While this course is intended for freshmen, I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. If you are a well seasoned imperative programmer who's wondering what all this functional stuff is about, these are a great series of lectures I would love for you to watch.

I second this recommendation, but I think the admonishment against beginners depends on the type of beginner. It's not easy material, but it's worth the effort. Also recommended is the accompanying textbook, which is worth every penny.

• 4 months later...

What happened to the three laws of robotics?

Isn't there a rule against giving artificial intelligence arms and legs?

Providing a learning intelligence with the means to injure or eliminate its slower and less intelligent creator is absurd to me.

A learning machine could easily find a logical reason to erraticate the chaos that it sees in its makers. That would overcome any "prime directive" against harming a human. Part of the learning process is challenging the status quo. We all go through that in our teen years. What happens when all the AI (who are connected through the internet) go through this at the same time?

Am I wrong to be concerned at the direction that AI is predicted to take?

I also find the idea of implanted intelligence (computers in our brains) a good way to control the masses - even moreso than is done through the media today. Once the implant is installed who decides what "upgrades" it accepts?

I don't see this as a problem that will occur in my life time but in my children's or grandchildren's lifetime it is more probable than simply possible.

I like technology - it is easy to turn off! In the future who controls the switch?

All science has a dark side, which is no excuse to halt development freedom,

Even if such thing is created, humans will then find a solution .. and even though, the ratio of death by such thing will remain lower than other things,

Besides, when one creates a model, it's not a simple task .. and there exist something called TESTING, which is important.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...