"Green" Communication

If social behavior is intrinsic to human existence or, is genetically facilitated for or possible by, then would understanding that in a scientific perspective help combat environmental issues? Lets say for instance that bands, or any form of social organization is hallmark to being human, as in our nature for instance, if that is so, could many modern day aspects of human civilizations such as variance with different cultures have a biological basis. I think if such was a reality that understanding that could be pivotal in aspects of environmental education.

I am looking at the question from a perspective of evolution I think, with thinking that social behavior is a predetermined reality, does it have any rules, and if so what are they? Environmental issues are going to be a global phenomena, and while technology can always improve, what about human relations or even the ability to have change socially before environmental ruin does indeed become dire. Many experts today can already talk about and show the realities of human behavior regarding the environment, from extinctions to global warming, to governmental denial. With that I would think education on the issue is paramount, not only at a local level as within a particular geographic region like the U.S, but the world over. If social order of some kind, or social behavior is inevitable and possibly purely biologically determined to occur, to me it would seem important to understand that as it would only aid in spreading environmental awareness.

To add some clarity to the question, how do you keep environmental issues from becoming mired in other international issues, how do you spread that kind of information giving any group of people, etc…

I would think many different disciplines would have to be used at first, like someone who could work with it from a sociological level, then someone on the economics side, linguistics, then ecology, to such a large range of fields really. So that is why I ask, giving the complexity of environmental issues I think education in bulk with the world populous is really key to saving the planet. Instead of just small bands of people trying to work against each other or majority groups, environmental science should be regular in education the world over, and made accessible to any person if at all possible to some extent. I think such education needs to be regular K-12 and into higher education, and likewise in any other regular educational setting.

To give the question some weight, without the ability to communicate successfully on a topic that is forefront to saving the environment, how do you remedy that problem. What if no one cares to understand, or the local social behavior is purely based in family structure of some kind mixed with shamanistic magic or heavy religion? Again with environmental issues being global in scale, these barriers I think are going to be huge really. More so that with my latest gathering of info on the net about the subject environmental education does not appear to important to public education nationally in the U.S yet and only a very small percent of the population I think is actively engaged with sustainability.

• 7 years later...

Ideal is ok as a substitute for aspiration/aim/target. I didn't know Bristolians used 'ideal' in place of 'idea' until now though. :)

Yes, tackling deforestation is a good idea and a good ideal

Edited by Strange