Windows VS Mac

albertlee

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Force of habbit......and bad tradition, Microsoft was the first out (with their ideas stolen from Mac :) )

Actually, Mac released the Mac Classic back in 1985. Windows didn't come around for a couple years after that, but then Apple got stuck up themselves when they said they didn't want games developers writing games for Apple machines because they weren't good enough, or something to that extent anyway.

Since PC is not as ideal as Mac' date=' then, critically, [b']why many people still like to use Bill Gates's Microsoft Windows and products?[/b] :confused:

Albert

Simply because there's more software on the market for PC than there is Mac, although it's encouraging to see more and more developers making software for macs these days.

One day they might make up the deficit :)

Then why the more software on the market is for PC?

I dont see why people want to use Microsoft Windows in the beginning since it does not have any advantage, when Bill Gates made his first Windows?

Albert

Because basically Microsoft advertised their product better than Apple; plus Microsoft don't have to worry about creating the hardware as well as the software.

More software is for PC because more people have PCs than Macs.

Still, how can Bill Gates be such rich? How can Windows be such successful than Macs? Can any one tell me from the earlier information when Bill is still making DOS?

good ol' billy has advertising and marketing ability far beyond apple. that's the only reason

Then why the more software on the market is for PC?

I dont see why people want to use Microsoft Windows in the beginning since it does not have any advantage' date=' when Bill Gates made his first Windows?[/b']

Albert

My take:

Apple made marketing mistakes in the early days. They make the hardware and the operating system, while Microsoft just makes software and has deals in place with manufacturers who make the boxes to make things that will run windows. That gave them an edge in getting into the business market, since the boxes were commodities and could be made cheaply. There's a saying that was prevalent a few years back - "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM products" - they were a known entity; they weren't going bankrupt anytime soon, which is not something you could necessarily say about almost anybody else. And they made machines that ran DOS and then windows. Not mac. So business people could buy IBM PCs without getting into real trouble, even if they weren't the best product. Nobody knew that mich since it was a relatively new product.

Apple eventually let others make hardware, but ran into quality and compatibility problems, similar to some problems that plague PCs. This hurt them more, and MS grabbed more of the market. Apple eventually stopped licensing, and went back to making all of their stuff.

But once MS had a large part of the business market, they got most of it because of compatibility issues. Years ago, especially, computers didn't play nicely with each other. People started buying home computers, and got what they used at work. More market share for Windows.

So now, if you're writing a game (or really any) program, you tend to do it for the large fraction of Windows users, rather than the small fraction of Mac users. Maybe you port it to the Mac afterwards. But there aren't that many programs that run only on a Mac.

The best product doesn't always win. Quality-wise beta is better than VHS, but VHS won the videotape market. because Sony was too protective of beta and it didnt get widely adopted.

Because basically Microsoft advertised their product better than Apple; plus Microsoft don't have to worry about creating the hardware as well as the software.

More software is for PC because more people have PCs than Macs.

a few things:

1: Microsoft IS a monopoly.

2: PC's stuff(hardware and software) is by far cheaper than that on the macs.

3: macs are generally not game friendly as in the way of selection.

4: windows is easier to use

But Dos really is worse than Mac at that time......

How could people choose Dos instead of Mac just because of the ads?

well' date=' there you go, you now have me confused.

dos is obsolete. that's why those who are still using Windows 95/98/ME are urged to Upgrade. Dos and Mac(i presume you mean Mac OS as opposed to Mac the computer) are apples and oranges.

and what are these [b']ads[/b] you speak of?

err, unless you're talking about back in the day?

then what dave said. mac's or apple at the time were not as robust and anal in many respects. so microsoft or bill gates rather, ripped the GUI idea from mac os(steve jobs) improved it, and with some extra aggressive marketing and monopoly, they were able to leave apple in the dust.

apple(or macs these days) as a company almost bit the bullet a few times, in some cases it was pure luck that they were able to survive.

{edit}

also, unix goes back far longer than macs or dos/windows. so for lots of people, the ms-dos was not a very difficult transition to make.

So, admiral, what you mean is..

Bill Gates becomes the richest, just because he ripped the GUI idea from Mac....? :confused: Does not sound right to me. :embarass:

So, why Apple is not the richest instead since it invents the GUI? and it should be better than ripped GUI on Windows...unless, Bill improves the GUI which is even better than Mac....

Any idea?

Albert

So' date=' admiral, what you mean is..

Bill Gates becomes the richest, just because he ripped the GUI idea from Mac....? :confused: Does not sound right to me. :embarass: [/quote']

that's exactly what happened.

So, why Apple is not the richest instead since it invents the GUI? and it should be better than ripped GUI on Windows...unless, Bill improves the GUI which is even better than Mac....

poor marketing, not very robust system, and sometimes people or companies will limit their scope to a certain population or idea, etc

so microsoft or bill gates rather' date=' ripped the GUI idea from mac os(steve jobs) improved it, and with some extra aggressive marketing and monopoly, they were able to leave apple in the dust.

[/quote']

Well, you don't go from "ripped GUI" to monopoly to leaving apple in the dust.

You must first leave apple in the dust before you become the monopoly, as one denotes the next.

Windows was successfull because it didn't have a monopoly over programming for its own OS. When I see Mac, I think of two companies: Mac, and Adobe. I don't need to see companies when I look at PCs, as there are enough software developers, for profit and otherwise, that work with the PC to make it a clear choice for me... now whether that is the truth, or merely what I can see from this standpoint... I don't know.

But it doesn't matter, because that is what I know to be true, and what every single one of my friends knows to be true.

Go PC and be free, or be confined to Mac. It may simply be overmarketting on the part of Macintosh.

Windows was successfull because it didn't have a monopoly over programming for its own OS. When I see Mac' date=' I think of two companies: Mac, and Adobe. I don't need to see companies when I look at PCs, as there are enough software developers, for profit and otherwise, that work with the PC to make it a clear choice for me... now whether that is the truth, or merely what I can see from this standpoint... I don't know.

Go PC and be free, or be confined to Mac. It may simply be overmarketting on the part of Macintosh.[/quote']

So, that is why Mac has less choices of hardwares and softwares....right? :D

Anyway, I dont see why it is hard to develop programs on Mac? also for the hardwares?

Albert

a few things:

1: Microsoft IS a monopoly.

Agreed.

2: PC's stuff(hardware and software) is by far cheaper than that on the macs.

They both use standard hardware (to a certain degree)' date=' but probably the most expensive thing is the motherboard which is probably more expensive because it has to be designed by Apple.

3: macs are generally not game friendly as in the way of selection.

4: windows is easier to use

Windows is, in my opinion, cluttered and the interface has so many bodges on it that it's turned into somewhat of a farce. the Mac OS's are much more streamlined than the windows ones; I can do things a lot quicker on a Mac than a PC.

So' date=' that is why Mac has less choices of hardwares and softwares....right? :D

Anyway, [b']I dont see why it is hard to develop programs on Mac? also for the hardwares?[/b]

Albert

It's not hard to develop programs; Apple releases free developer tools that can be used to design programs, and those developer tools are very good. The problem is there's less programmers (because apple has less of the market share than 'doze), so not as many things get developed.

Windows was successfull because it didn't[/i'] have a monopoly over programming for its own OS.

In the early days, windows wouldn't allow you to run any 3rd party programs that weren't approved by Microsoft. This was very unpopular, hence they removed it.

Plus, this had nothing to do at all about strangleholds for programming, and everything to do with the fact that Apple made some key mistakes in the beginning. This is why they are lagging today. Microsoft simply copied a lot of the ideas that Apple introduced, and then marketed them in a better way. If Apple had actually thought about their marketing, then we'd be having a conversation as to why Macs are better than PCs.

It's not hard to develop programs; Apple releases free developer tools that can be used to design programs, and those developer tools are very good. The problem is there's less programmers (because apple has less of the market share than 'doze), so not as many things get developed.

Then,In the beginning,Why programmers want to program in Windows, and not in Macs?

Albert

Of that I'm not entirely sure. I know Apple adopted the attitude that games weren't supposed to be run on a Mac because they weren't designed for games, perhaps it was true of other programs as well. The early programming tools weren't the best though until the incarnation of OS X.